Disability

LittleMissScareAll

Does anyone here get disability for social phobia/depression/other mental health problems like that, or have you tried getting disability for it? If so, how did you go about doing it? Just curious.

Gloomy

I'm on disability. I got my first check this week. Just go to the social security office. I don't remember what I did there, my mother did most of the talking. I was very depressed and anxious when I went there so it was like a hazy dream for me. You have to wait a few months for your application to be approved and some more months before you finally start getting the money. I'm getting what they call February's check next week. Great just in time for April. I got backpay too, that's what i got this week. I don't know much about it, there is a lot I have to find out and there's a lot of government bullshit that goes along with it.

Septor

There 2 kinds of disability.Social security disability insurance which is disability base off of how much work you have done.For some one under the age of 24 I think you would need at least 1 years and 5 mouths of work time.

Then there is Supplemental Security Income which is made for people that don't meet the work requirement for Social security disability insurance.Thats what me and gloomy have.

Either way you have to start by going down to your social security office to fill out the paper work.There very strict on the requirements to get disability.You have to have lot of paper work from your doctor and your therapist proving your disability and even then they will sometime send you to there own doctor or therapist.

After that it's a waiting game some times it can be months or even years before they make a decision.I have no idea why some people get it faster then other.For me it took 2 years to get it but I have heard of people getting it faster then that.On the plus side you get all the money from when you first turn in the paper work.Which is called a retrocheck.As far as how much money you get if you qualify for it.It depends on what state you are in.Some states the federal government handle all the money and in other states some of it come from the federal government and the rest is supplemented be the state.

Good luck on anyone that want disability it's not fun trying to get it. :(

Gloomy

BlackSheep said:
Hey Septor or Gloomy about how much do you get a year from disability?

I get $600 a month. But considering I live with my mother and she supports me that's like $300 worth of expenses so I get only really get $300. Unfortunately the government with its fucked up logic considers that income. So I really should be getting $900 a month.

LittleMissScareAll

Thanks for the responses...I've heard it's hard, but not impossible to get disability for mental health problems... but somebody told my mom that they always turn you down the first time, or first few times...that you just have to keep trying.
I've been to quite a few doctors & therapists but I never go to them for long periods of time...they always say something that pisses me off, so I always stop going. Would you have to have gone to them for a long period of time to even be considered for disability, then, or would fewer times be ok?

Gloomy

I was accepted the first time I applied. It took 4 months I think. I was interviewed by a case worker at the social security office and a month or so later they sent me some documentation to fill out and send back. That was all I had to do. They will want proof of any doctors or therapists that you have been to and what you were diagnosed with. I was in a mental hospital so I think that clinched it for me. I'm just getting started on the disability so I don't know much about it. I need to find out about medicare and medicaid next.

Septor

Yep it's easier getting disability for physical problems then it is mental problems.I was turn down once before I got accepted,when other people got on it the first try.Sometime it can take people 2 or 3 times of being turn down before they're accepted.A general rule is not to get your hopes up on the first time for being accepted because they do turn people done a lot on the first try.

As for doctor and therapist i'm not sure if it would matter.They usually like long medical record of your disability.I know they would want all the records from all the different doctor and therapist you have had in the past and it in would be in your favor to be going to a doctor and therapist if you apply now.Plus they could send you to one of there own doctor and therapist to.