Diet and effect on the thyroid

bigchris

I don't have time or patience spoon feeding and providing a ton of sources to back up what i'm saying, if you want proof look it up yourself like I have done. A lot of helpful and useful information comes from

Articles by Ray Peat - Index

Which is a good place to start.

The thyroid is an incredibly important gland in the body and once corrected with proper diet, I believe it will solve a lot of problems, including sweating. Ray Peat doesn't actually recommend any diet, he just writes articles on certain foods amongst other things.

Quick Start Guide - Animal-Based Nutrition For Hair & Health
A quote from danny roddys quick start guide, the site is based on hair loss but heavily relies on Ray Peats work, one reason the diet works is because it corrects the thyroid. He sums it up brilliantly so I have included this quote.

"HIGH CARB TO FAT RATIO
Increasing sugar intake decreases stress, increases CO2, and enhances the functionality of the
liver and thyroid. Orange juice is ideal because of its potassium and magnesium content. White
sugar can be made into simple syrup and added to milk. Thinking of white sugar as a
“hormonal balancer” will help one overcome sugar-phobia.

ADEQUATE PROTEIN
High quality protein includes milk, cheese, gelatinous meats (oxtail), whole eggs, shellfish, and
liver. Diets containing adequate protein (120+ grams per day) enhance calcium absorption and
support the liver and thyroid. Special emphasis should be placed on gelatin and dairy because of
their anti-inflammatory, pro-hair properties.

HIGH SATURATED TO UNSATURATED FAT RATIO
A high saturated (coconut, dairy, meat) to unsaturated fat (liquid oils) ratio promotes a lowinflammation, pro-thyroid, pro-hair environment.

ADEQUATE PRO-HAIR NUTRIENTS
Calcium, magnesium, potassium, sodium, selenium, vitamins A, B2, B6, C, D, E and K, can all
directly or indirectly influence hair growth. A diet rich in dairy, gelatinous meats, whole eggs,
liver (occasionally), shellfish (occasionally), coffee, and fruit will supply most of the above
nutrients.

REDUCE ENDOTOXIN
Easily digested sugars, fats, and proteins suppress endotoxin. Additionally, raw carrots with
coconut oil and vinegar help to reduce bacterial endotoxin."

This ensures proper thyroid functioning and reduction in sweating, as well as a longer, happier life.

Big Chris, hyperthyroidism may, indeed, induce secondary hyperhidrosis (in addition to other signs and symptoms due to overactive thyroid). That being said, many people with HH, including me, have primary HH, so unfortunately, diet control will not help. Having your PCP check for serum elevations in thyroid hormones is a good start for those individuals with excessive sweating.