DIANETICS and Obsessive-compulsive disorder?

blue_sky

Hello.

Is there anybody to whom dianetics has helped to get rid of
or facilitate symptoms of OCD?

I had read in the internet that Dianetics can help with it.
Please read the quote:

"Anxiety is anxiety no matter what impressive names have been given the
condition — “Generalized Anxiety Disorder,” “Panic Disorder,” “Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder,”
“Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder,” “Social Phobias,” “Social Anxiety Disorder,”
“Specific Phobias” — it just doesn’t matter. The reactive mind can affect you in
a limitless variety of ways, none of them good. But the important thing is what
causes the condition and how to solve it.
And Dianetics provides you with a practical method to get rid of your reactive mind."
Source: http://www.rehabilitatenz.co.nz/pages/anxiety.html

But I also had read some books on OCD self-treatment and
they do not mention methods of dianetics and dianetics itself.
Also I head read the book "Dianetics: the modern science of mental health".

And please no grandiloquent promises from dianetic agents.
I would like to hear about real experience from real Obsessive-compulsive
disorder sufferers as I am.)

Please share your experience.
I will wait for your answers.
Thanks to all!!!

JonnyD_

I'll TRY not to be biased. But has this dianetics to do with that Scientology stuff?

GloomySunday

Yes, Dianetics is linked to Scientology. For more information go here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dianetics

Scientologists often use 'Stress Tests' and 'Personality Tests' as a way of recruiting members. It's seemingly harmless which is why so many people end up getting involved. I would advise caution and doing some research into the basics of Scientology before going to them, just so you understand what's really involved.

goat

Scientology is a cult...pure and simple...please don't buy into their shit or you will end up broke and/or insane.

Livingwithoutlivin

I used to go there a few times in my childhood, and I did try some of that a few times, back in my non -anxiety days. I want to go to them, but I'm not sure they would be interested in helping me, with my situation. But I do understand part of their techniques and theory over some stuff like the OCD. These are the few things I remember. Some of which I can relate to, but If things get worse I would like to try them out.

- what you constantly evade persist. So if you are constanty trying to avoid or running away from something, it's gonna persist, especially in your mind. Kind of like if you'r worst fear while walking up to the stage is tripping, and you get so nervous imagining that you are going to trip, that you end up tripping.

- Another thing, in their session what you'd end up doing is going over some incident that happened in your life, and you'd constantly go over it, the nice thing I saw in this is that, say if you are talking about something that happened in your life, like an uncomfortable experience at school and you have to remember it with all the details and remember just as if you were to go back to that exact time in your life, you remember the exact anxiety that you felt and all that, but as you go over the incident again and again, you find that at some point, all the discomfort of that experience does not irrationally affect you anymore.

I think their best book that you can get at the library is " self- analysis" of the books I have read, this one truly made me feel really good, the thing is I was reading it in my second language, which I am not fluent in, so I did not get to finish the book. That and the 7 habits of highly effective teens were books I put on the top of my list as being real helpful.

So that aside from all the talk of demons and devils about it, cause that was not my experience from my time there, and those people are talking mostly about the bad apples, like every religion has.

Well, but to be honest, I got a feeling of euphoria and well-being from reading ' self-analysis' from as much as I read, but the only one who will if something helps is you, so whatever helps.

Thelema

Beware of any Holy psycho therapy :lol:

Scientology has nothing good going for it, so if you wanna check it out, go to the library. Those people already have enough money, from telling old grannies if they give them all their life savings, they'll learn super powers and learn how to fly(No, I'm not making that up).

jbenckiser

Banned
Do not drink the Kool-Aid!

Those "personality tests" are anything but. They are more about finding people's vulnerabilities and exploiting them. Once they're inside your head, the professional con-men will try and indoctrinate you by telling you what they think you want to hear.

You may be fooled into thinking Scientology is legitimate, but it's a cult like any other, and it won't be long before you end up in their version of Jonestown.

krfoss

Livingwithoutlivin,

Your description of a Dianetics treatment sounds a lot like exposure therapy and avoidance of the obsessive thoughts. Have you tried the dianetics method, or straight mental health treatment for OCD?

gcd

Hello.

First off, "Blue Sky" is one of my favorite Irving Berlin tunes. (Check out Thelonious Monk's version "In Walked Bud" recorded in 1947).

When first noticed having something wrong, the term OCD was not commonly used. I first went to a psychologist and my job paid for the sessions. The term OCD never came up (this was late 1970's), but the sessions were good in terms of having someone to talk to, but did nothing. The doctor was treating me as if it was a phobia (I had and still to some degree have contamination OCD) and eventually when I left my job, I stopped going to see her.

I began to work at a job where there were some Scientologists and one did a free session of Dianetics on me, and I was totally amazed by what was essentially a recall-based approach that really felt right for me. I wanted to get more Dianetics, and went to a Scientology counsellor (operating as an independent practitioner, but approved by the Church of Scientology -- thus charging their standard rates.) He did a few Dianetic sessions, but quickly switched to Scientology -- at first to my disappointment, but I quickly liked this also. It included some Self-Analysis sessions (based on the book) and some procedures called "objectives" where when is involved in doing things in the physical environment, which was perfect for me. My OCD improved tremendously but did not go away. Eventually I stopped taking counselling or classes (I found the classes relevant and very beneficial but just went my own way having got a lot of the benefit I was seeking.) Soon after I started hearing the term OCD, and identified that this was what I had (perhaps due to step throat in my case as it came on once when I was a kid and had strep throat and then came on permanently when I had strep throat that went untreated.) Once I knew that what I had was OCD, it was something that I was able to accept, and I didn't feel badly that neither psychology or Dianetics/Scientology did not totally treat it.

That said, Scientology help it diminish significantly so that I have a fairly normal life, am married and do a lot of things. Before I was pretty miserable and in constant anxiety. For me it was worth the time and money. I also got a lot of value out of Scientology courses and even though its been decades since I last visited any of their organizations, I am very glad to have got what I got.

I think the main thing is to get rid of the bad emotions, depression, anxiety and frustration associated with being a person with OCD. Of course, I would like to be totally normal, but for me the next best thing is to be happy and live a normal life.

Would I recommend the same course for someone else? That's tough -- but I think one should be willing to seek help when the OCD is bad enough to affect the quality of life. I would definitely recommend putting in the time with the Self Analysis book. That is a very low-cost, easy-to-do approach.

gcd

Hello.

Hi! (Like the name Blue Sky as that is one of my favorite Irving Berling tunes)

I first got OCD permanently after having strep throat that went untreated (had OCD for a day or two once before that had went away when I got treated for strep throat -- I think I was around 7 years old that first time). This was in the late 70's and I went to a psychologist. She treated me as if I had a phobia and though it was good to have someone to talk to, no progress was made and I stopped going when I left the job that was paying for the sessions.

I later started working at a place where there was Scientologists and one of them gave me a free Dianetics sessions. That was pretty amazing and so I started doing Dianetics and Scientology. This alleviated the worse aspects of the OCD, getting rid of the anxiety, guilt, etc. Was very well worth it for me. The OCD did not go completely away, but I was able to be in control of it and not a victim of it. For me, the Dianetics and Scientology was definitely a life-changer for me and allows me to live a normal, happy life. I stopped being involved with the Scientology organization (been decades since I last visited one of the locations), but I am thankful for having tried it. Previously, life was very hard for me -- now I probably have it much easier than 80% of the normal people out there.

Is this the best course for you? That's something I don't know. I would recommend that you might pick up a copy of Self Analysis and try that. This is a low cost way to see if this might be something that would help you.