Dealing with stress

lilmutegirl

I realized recently that I feel remarkably not stressed (at least consciously). Even though I have changed jobs and am working more hours (still not full-time, so it's not more stressful than most people) and just started a graduate school program, I have not had the anxiety I have associated with stress in the past.
I have, however, noticed that I have been clenching my jaw (sometimes I realize it afterward, because of the discomfort--other times, I am actively doing it when I make the realization). I am also irritable and obsessive (especially about my second job, for some reason).
While I am glad I am not as anxious as I once was, I wish I wasn't exhibiting these other symptoms of stress.
Are you very aware of your stress or is it more subtle when you experience it? How do you deal with stress?

arjuna

Basically, I don't. I have atrocious coping mechanisms. Now, however, I am trying to desensitize myself to stress via introspection and subsequent action.

Requiescat

I become very aware of my voice and body when in what I consider to be highly stressful situations. That would specifically be me in the spotlight and under the microscope. Throughout the years alot of visualization exercises to rehearse scenarios in my head helped a lot, in fact I would say it was the key contributor to turning things around alot. The rest is experience; when you experience a certain thing countless times it becomes samely and you lose a bit of fear of failure - especially if it has already happened before. Then it's a matter of adjusting and raising the bar each time. It's the hiding away that places insurmountable pressure on oneself, and that one failure when one reluctantly goes into the red zone that inflicts a devastating physchological wound. I suspect a similar thing for as it was with me: being out there. But for the outletting of body tension. There are various techniques for dealing with anxiety, I recommend looking them up. I also read a pdf on progressive muscle relaxation exercises a while ago. Alot of what I have read is concentrating the mind on something specific and breathing. I don't know which avenue you would prefer to venture down. Here are some things just to get the ball rolling:

9 Ways to Reduce Anxiety Right Here, Right Now | Psych Central

15 Easy Ways to Beat Anxiety Now | Greatist

How to read Body Language

Something that isn't talked about much is nutrition and the liver. The liver is an emotional organ that is utterly hammered by Western diets (the liver affects everything in your body, makes for interesting reading). I can personally attest to the relief I have felt from liver flushes - I was on the significantly bad end of the scale here inspite of not eating as badly as most; emotional anxiety and stress affects the liver too. So I propose attacking this issue from all angles. Using various techniques to relieve anxiety may not be the silver bullet you had hoped it was if you have an underlying dietary problem, and that can be very disheartening if you aren't aware of it.

Anyway, I'll cut this post here. Clearly you ar doing a lot of good and certainly put me to shame, so I credit you for where you are right now. I hope you figure this out.

Three things that get me through

1) Deep breaths or if Im past that and just completely overwrought Ill switch off the light, lie down, close my eyes and just concentrate on breathing. Slow deep in and out for how ever long it takes which is usually no more than a few minutes. I guess this is kinda meditation maybe. Not sure. It works anyway.

2)Dogs I love love love dogs. I go hang out with the dog. This absolutely always works.

3)Running-if I have exams especially I will belt along for 40 mins or so the night before and allows to me shake off some of the stress and focus.

BlazeBlue

Are you very aware of your stress or is it more subtle when you experience it? How do you deal with stress?

Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't. Right now I'm working 2 jobs. One full time one part time. Couple that with a small online business, I have my hands all tied. For the first couple months, I was obsessive and tried to do everything. I started losing sleep and got pretty high strung. But I didn't realize it until I started developing rashes and finding myself unable to sleep until 5 or 6 in the morning (and sometimes all nighter).That was when I stopped doing everything all at once. I purchased a planner and gave myself structure. It's been a tremendous help writing down to-do lists and at the same time giving myself a way to track my progress. I scheduled in my mandate sleep for at least 7 - 8 hrs everyday and make a point to sleep at 10:30p as the latest (I'd get up around 5 or 6a).

I've been seeing improvements in getting my hectic life together: Much better sleep (zzz in 5 min tops), better breathing rhythm, and overall a content happy feeling. Behold the power of a $10 planner! :applause: