Dealing with excessive sweat. The fifth alternative.

Hyper-Hydro

Over the past 10 years I have been reading in miscellaneous forae on both sides of the atlantic, german and English or north American, and when I come back to them after a while, I´m always surprised to see the exact same questions being asked, and the same discussions taking place, as 10 years ago. It´s as if there has been no development at all in an entire decade, other than improved efficiency of adversiment for treating symptoms. All the while greedy surgeons, and medical industry have been sitting on the fence, flapping their wings or hovering over us, taking advantage of our predicaments.

There are basically 5 ways of treating excessive sweating: 1) Anti-cholinergics taken orally or as topicals, to block information from your central nervous system to your sweat glads. 2) Surgery severing or “clamping”external ganglia of the central nervous system to block information to the sweat glands. 3) Injection of Botox to block out information from the central nervous system to the sweat glands. 4) Iontophoresis/Topical treatment with aluminium or iron ions to numb or kill the sweat glands in the skin. 5) Investigating in your life style, and rearranging your diet and exercise habits.

The anti-cholinergics, surgeons and iontophoresis/metal ions were all here 10 years ago. Botox is relatively new. They all share the same goal: To block information from your central nervous system to your sweat glands, assuming the information from your central nervous system is incorrect and resulting in excess sweat. But what if instead we assume your central nervous system is working fine, and the sweating therefore has a natural cause? To sweat is important in order to regulate your body temperature, rid the body of chemical waste that don´t pass though urine or feces, and also to distribute pheromones and other scent which communicates the state of our body to other persons or animals. Precisely why anxiety makes people sweat is very puzzling, because it renders sensitive information about us available to potential enemies, e.g. dogs can smell if people are afraid. Controlling sweat in situations like that would make more sense so why the exact opposite is happening is hard to understand. Blocking sweat entirely is very dangerous in hot weather, when over dressing or exerting yourself.

My opinion of the remedies:

1) anti-cholinegics e.g. Avert (Glycopyrrolate) taken orally not only act on the external sweat glands or ganglia, but influence your entire central nervous system, slowing down or blocking information from all parts of your body. Seems to me instead of fixing the punctured tyre, you´re puncturing the other 3 also and continue driving…. Applying anti-cholinergics externally e.g. Glycopyrrolate in topicals could be a different matter, but unfortunately it seems very likely that anti-cholinergics can enter our metabolism through our skin. (E.g. take nicotine plasters. Anti-cholinergics and e.g. Nicotine are all alkaloids, and if Nicotine can enter via the skin, then why shouldn´t any other alkaloid be able to?)
2) Surgery is just plain stupid if you ask me. Why do you think over hundreds of thousands of years those ganglions developed in our body ? Do you believe it´s something a surgeon can comprehend over 3-4 years of training? Severing them by this or other technology is daft, and if surgeons ever helped anybody this way, it would be a stroke of luck in my opinion.
3) Botox: Inject a potentially deadly toxin in your body voluntary? Right! There are no long term studies of what consequences poisoning yourself over years may have on the rest of your body. It´s a very good quick fix for the botox therapists bank accounts though, and also very much in. I´m positive towards botox in use by trained surgeons e.g. during operations for life threatening predicaments, but regular pumping of botox into the skin doesn´t sound very smart if you ask me, even if you can afford it. A fact is however that it seems to work only locally, and the few users of botox I have spoken to all seem happy with it, besides from having to endure pain and part with hard earned money.
4) the metal ions (Aluminium Chlorhydrate topicals or iontophoresis) are the only symptom treaters I can live with, since they are only applied externally, do not enter your metabolism and are eventually shed by your skin, but my what an ordeal they represent and aren´t we all so fed up with them? Unfortunately metal ions don´t seem to help out all forms of excessive sweating.

Only the fifth treatment alternative can be considered a true cure in my eyes, the other four are merely treating symptoms, so why is it there has been so little development in that field, in order to disclose why people do have these excessive sweat problems? Could it be that if we are cured noone can make any more money off us?

One reason that we seem to have progressed nowhere could be that we have been chasing a phantom. I don´t believe there is something as a Hyper-Hidrosis diagnose. We all sweat too much from different reasons. It´s interesting to see that almost all entries in these forums come from people in the socalled developed world, so it would seem we´re suffering from a luxury problem.

I don´t have any precise evidence as to why so many people in the western world sweat so much, and I´m nowhere near an overview of all causes, but I know that an increasingly large proportion of the population are overweight, and type 2 diabetes is today also seen in children and young people, whereas it used to be seen primarily in the elderly. Type 2 diabetes or border cases are very hard to spot, and thus hundreds of thousands of people could be living with this without having a clue about it. Causes of cold sweat has been shown to be related to diabetes, or a family history of diabetes. Losing weight and changing the diet as well as planning regular exercise can actually cure people from diabetes: http://ndep.nih.gov/campaigns/SmallSteps/gameplan/gp_booklet.htm

In my opinion, other types of excessive sweating could also caused be by our metabolism being out of balance. It could be very interesting to hear more about this, if anyone else have something about causes of excessive sweating or input to the fifth alternative of treating excessive sweating please feel very welcome to engage in a discussion here, so we might begin moving ahead instead of arguing about which is the “best” way of treating symptoms.

teandtoast

some interesting points...

it is amazing how little really as youve mentioned theyve come on in all these years...

youve mentioned the clamping surgery and dismissed this which I would also do as results seem to be very hit and miss but you havent mentioned liposuction with curettage (I dont think saw mentioned).
I know you dismiss any type of surgery if I'm not mistaken which is your choice but the research into this has shown the success rate is very high as takes the sweat glands out totally.

There doesn't really seem to be enough research and study done into HH in general I don't think which is why not much progress really seems to be made in finding new solutions.
It's a condition which really isn't made a big deal about really I don't think (obviously there are alot worse things you could have but u know what I mean...isn't much awareness around it)

Hyper-Hydro

teandtoast said:
some interesting points...

it is amazing how little really as youve mentioned theyve come on in all these years...

youve mentioned the clamping surgery and dismissed this which I would also do as results seem to be very hit and miss but you havent mentioned liposuction with curettage (I dont think saw mentioned).
I know you dismiss any type of surgery if I'm not mistaken which is your choice but the research into this has shown the success rate is very high as takes the sweat glands out totally.

There doesn't really seem to be enough research and study done into HH in general I don't think which is why not much progress really seems to be made in finding new solutions.
It's a condition which really isn't made a big deal about really I don't think (obviously there are alot worse things you could have but u know what I mean...isn't much awareness around it)

Thanks Teandtost for taking me seriously. I`m putting all kinds of surgery under the same category, because they are all symptom treatments. Removing your head would also cease the sweat problem, but we can´t really say it´s a cure.

teandtoast

:lol: i guess

would be great for something new to pop up and really help with this condition

is tiresome on these forums...same questions asked ...same answers over and over again as nothing new ...not having digs at the forums more so just how no progression which is shame as u would hope and think there would be at some point :?

hels

Thanks for opening up looking at things in a different way. To me gentics seem to have a lot to do with it, my grandmother definately has HH and i think many people on this site will have some family links. My HH started as young child yet my sisters do not have it even though we grew up with the same lifestyle.

P.S. maybe most of the people on this site are from developed countries because there is not as much internet access and culture of use in less developed countries!

Hyper-Hydro

hels said:
Thanks for opening up looking at things in a different way. To me gentics seem to have a lot to do with it, my grandmother definately has HH and i think many people on this site will have some family links. My HH started as young child yet my sisters do not have it even though we grew up with the same lifestyle.

P.S. maybe most of the people on this site are from developed countries because there is not as much internet access and culture of use in less developed countries!

Thank You for your input Hels

I saw a program about China, where atleast 100 million have internet access. India is today a place where many internet activities are outsourced to, so we might assume many thousands have access. I never read any input from chinese or indian people in any forum.

I don´t know much about my family history, but I know one side has a history of diabecy. My older half-brother is a diabetic from one side of the family, and on the other side of the family my mother´s aunt is also diabetic. My GP doesn´t want to diagnosticice me as diabetic, but he thinks I could be type 2. Well I´m 51 now, so if I´m type 2, I have been all my life. The symptoms of sweating have been with me as long as I can recall.

Eating some things can provoke a rush sweat on my scalp and forehead. Especially chilli (not surprising) but very mild chillies (even sweet ones) will make me sweat as bad as hot ones. Another type of food that can make my forehead wet is an apple!! The puzzling thing about that is that not every apple will do that. Actually most apples will be ok for me to eat when suddenly I have Niagara Falls over my forehead.

bill-uk

Interesting thread.

My mother sweats a little more than the average, generally on her upper lip but nothing like I can and do sweat. I have wondered about genetics and unfortunately my 16 year old son, who is incredibly fit and healthy, is starting to show the signs and symptoms I had at about the same age. He knows about my sweating issues but I am hopeful he won't go down the same path as me in regards to this.

In terms of food, I can get incredibly sweaty when eating hot curry or food with chilli, exacerbated if eaten in a warm environment. But the food that makes me sweat even in a cold environment is cheese, particularly cheddar cheese and that can cause a sweat rush to my face, particularly the temples and scalp.