Dating: Sorting the Good from the Bad

Chess

The situation:

I'm in college, a time when in addition to not flunking many people are looking to go to parties and have sex. I want to settle into a long-term relationship.

The problems:

Because I grew up in a household with physical and mild sexual abuse, I'm shy about intimacy and especially sexual advances being made towards me. This plus a few negative experiences since has given me a fear of being pressured for sex and of men's intentions, but I've managed to have a few functional relationships that were generally reasonably happy while they lasted.

Whenever I go on forums about dating and sex, I see posts about how to trick women into bed, dumping them if they don't put out within x number of dates, just pass on "damaged goods," etc, that reinforce my fear. I don't know how many or which of the men I see in my daily life think like this when they have anonymity.

The question:

How do I sort out the wrong people from the right people while meeting potential dates on campus?

Fanden

Hello Chess

I think most of us humans will have to meet a lot of potential dates before we find something real. And some of those will have bad intentions.

There is no reason to jump into bed with anyone immediately. Take all the time you need. Eventually you will know if it will lead to something serious. If he likes you, he will wait.

x Will x

Hello Chess

I think most of us humans will have to meet a lot of potential dates before we find something real. And some of those will have bad intentions.

There is no reason to jump into bed with anyone immediately. Take all the time you need. Eventually you will know if it will lead to something serious. If he likes you, he will wait.

I agree, go at the pace you feel most comfortable with and you have to stay stubborn!