Dating Sites

benk1983

Has anyone on here had any luck on dating sites. I recently went and saw a psychologist about my social anxiety/depression, which I have been told that my depression is secondary and the only reason I am depressed is that I get so down about my social anxiety.Anyway when we got talking he reckons a lot of it has to do with the fact that I am not in a relationship. There was other things that he found but that was a major one for me. So anyway I have been trying to change it all around and have signed up to a couple dating sites and stuff. Now heres the thing, I reckon it has made me worse. Everyone I have tried to make contact with on these dating sites pretty much doesn't even want to talk to me. Its like they see my photo or something and then straight away they are like "Ewww" and then thats the end of it. Its making me feel so shit about myself and I really wonder what the point of life is anymore. Has anyone else tried fixing their anxiety and actually made it worse?

GKJB

I know what you mean. Writing something/introducing yourself to someone online is so much easier than doing it in reality, but rejection can feel just as bad. I've tried using dating sites but even if I get replies I'll generally just ignore them. I know I'm not gonna be able to have a relationship, because relationships involve sex, and this is something I'm more anxious about than anything else.

GloomySunday

I think you do need either a very thick skin, or at least a very good sense of humour, to survive the potential knock backs and upsets that it can bring. For someone with Social Phobia, it's probably not such a good idea.

I think the best way forwards is to meet people who share a common interest or passion. I've just bookmarked www.meetup.com as a potentially good place to start, rather than going to a mainstream dating site. At least with a web site like that you'll at least make good friends and there's not really any pressure or expectation placed upon you.

weak

I've had great success with dating sites. I've used true.com and match.com. Both are decent but I prefer match.com, as the girls on there seem to be more mature and there's better options.

These sites cost money though, like $30 a month. There's also free dating sites like plentyoffish.com but that site seriously sucks. The variety is terrible and the people on there don't seem to be very serious about dating. It's more like a spin-off of myspace if anything. But to be fair, I have a friend who's successfully met girls off of there.

Put a lot of effort into your profile and pics. You gotta treat it as an application. Otherwise you're wasting your time.

Ericisme

shypassions.com and nolongerlonely.com I know one has a group for social anxiety\phobia alone, it's not the most active site, but still has people on it. They're rather easy to use, but if you need any help with them just ask me on either of the sites, my username on them is ericisme