CS and sauna use

SweatyCanuck

Has anyone used a sauna to try and control their compensatory sweating? I am just wondering as I go to the gym quite regularly and prior to my ETS surgery (for palmar hh) I enjoyed sitting in the sauna after my workout. I have only tried it once post-ETS and had to get out after a couple of minutes as my heat tolerance is a lot lower but just wondering if maybe a sauna could help re-train your body to cool itself normally. I did notice when I went in that my chest actually started sweating a bit. My lower back, butt and legs sweat an unbelievable amount since my ETS surgery but my chest does not sweat at all. I do still sweat normally from my face and head just not my chest. This got me thinking that maybe using that sauna could normalize things a bit. Anyone ever try this or read anything about it?

NickM

I've heard about it, but I have never seen anyone claim that it actually works. I say try it out and see if it helps. It won't hurt anything to give it a shot!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SweatyCanuck

LOL ya I certainly can't sweat any more than I already do hahaha. I just got back from the gym and spent 30 mins in the sauna. I was sweating like a mofo! Even my chest. Nothing from my arms and hands though lol. Will keep hitting it and post up updates if I find any difference - I'm sure it will take a long time to notice any changes if there are any. Was kind of nice to sweat though and not be worried about it hahaha

Jezza

Well I haven't had ETS surgery but I do have pretty much full body HH coupled to palmoplantar. I have some experience with sauna's as I spend a few months in Budapest Hungary during my studies and they have a bath/sauna culture there that goes back years and years. There are a couple of big and often quite beautiful complexes in the city with swimming pools/sauna's/baths with herbs in them etc. Fun fact, one of them was where they filmed the scene in Goldeneye where Xenia Onatopp tries to strangle James Bond with her legs.

Anyway, I found that after going there the HH seemed to be blunted for an hour or so but it didn't help for prolonged periods of time. However you're actually trying to make a few area's sweat I understand...in that regard I can only tell you that I did have botox injections in my hands right before I left for Hungary and though pretty much every pore of my body sweated in the sauna the injections sites didn't...but hey it might not be exactly the same mechanism...

It was though quite amazing to see all the seperate droplets of sweat appearing on the skin at every sweat pore, because you're sitting still a lot of them don't run down immediately. Btw I still couldn't stay in the sauna for more than about 15 min. After 10 min it became uncomfortable and then at 15 I pretty much started to feel like fainting. It was 80 degrees celsius ambient temp. Later on I found that there was another sauna with 50 degrees ambient temp and I could stay in that way longer (so long I didn't bother to time it cause after a while you get bored).

Last edited: