Could self loathing actually be helpful?

Jellybeans

whenever i try to cover up how bad i feel or recite a few affirmations in my head like 'i accept my self, i accept myself!' it never works. it usually has the effect of making me feel worse. usually just because i'm so paranoid that somebody is going to come by and mess it all up. and of course, weather imagined or not, something stupid ALWAYS happens to make me feel even worse than i did... if not borderline suicidal.

so here's my idea - don't suppress how you feel...? it might sound a little weird, but i'm going to wholeheartedly give it a go tomorrow at work. maybe because it has to do with being self-honest for once (or maybe not), but this actually seems like a better idea than trying to mask it all like i normally do on a daily basis. this way, nobody could possibly knock me off my high horse. or make me feel that bad at all really. i'm just going to accept the fact that i'll probably always hate myself a little. maybe it'll inspire me to try harder in life.

/thread

Jellybeans said:
i'm just going to accept the fact that i'll probably always hate myself a little. maybe it'll inspire me to try harder in life.

It's not easy accepting that our minds and bodies sometimes sabotage us. But it's a lot easier than trying to convince your thoughts and your feelings that everything is okay.

terrified

I know what you mean. Someone told me that it's like trying to hold a volleyball under water. I takes a lot of energy. I agree with you. Suppressing it makes it worse.

However, accepting how you feel and being honest about it is a way of self-care, not self-hatred.

Self-hatred does not inspire me to work hard. Does that really help you to work hard?