could I have OCD or PTSD?

LeeAnne

My boyfriend has a mild form of OCD- where he likes order, and it causes him some anxiety, but it's more like he can't leave dirty dishes in the sink and fears contamination.

I on the other hand will repeat things over and over again in my head. For instance, here is one unpleasant thought.

This may be disturbing.

I was abused as a child. One unpleasant memory involves blacking out while being beaten in my bed. It was years ago. I wet my bed when it happened.

I will feel stuck in that memory. I will repeat it in my head because my memory is not good so that creates anxiety. I remember ruminating for about a day, wondering about what if he ever got charged for that, would my mother be charged too? I couldn't handle a court case.

But I ruminate. I just feel stuck, like the court case is happening. I feel very sad, and consumed by the memory.

It's happened before with another memory with a boyfriend who tried to be abusive with me.

He did grab me. I did get away. You would think I would forget, but I could not. I started not being able to sleep and would be stuck on what he did, met by intrusive thoughts of what he tried. I started showering three times a day. I stopped going out. I stopped socializing.

I guess it's PTSD. But something tells me I should be able to get on with life and not ruminate. It just spins around in my head. Sometimes the feelings aren't real. The court case with my parents never happened, but it's like it is happening.

Helyna

I thought that PTSD went away after a while. Still, if this is your only "obsession" and you don't have any "compulsions" to try to make it go away, then it's not OCD.

LeeAnne

Helyna said:
I thought that PTSD went away after a while. Still, if this is your only "obsession" and you don't have any "compulsions" to try to make it go away, then it's not OCD.

I thought it might be more of a pure obsessional form (with no outward signs). PTSD does come and go.

In those two incidents I didn't really deal with the situation so the PTSD probably came back to bite me.

PTSD does "go away" but it can come back for things like memories that were not dealt with. I pretended bits of my childhood never happened for years. When I remembered that one incident I just started asking myself a lot of questions and what ifs.

Danfalc

Banned
Helyna said:

Not everyone with ocd performs rituals.. its common but you can have ocd without rituals definatley.ANd pstd can last for a very long time... often coming back if you never deal with it.Depends on how traumatic the event(s) was which caused it i guess aswell.

Anyway for peace of mind LeeAnne id go to a doctor and get refered to be sure before you start giving yourself labels :)

LeeAnne

trust me another dx is the last thing I need.

I just have this anxiety around people I gotta fix, and a way of obsessively ruminating that makes me a bit nuts.

I fired my psych. Just was getting nowhere. i did get her to help me find some CBT though.

So a dx isn't really so important- I sort of know what it is. Finding a med that works really well for me (haven't found one, and I am slow to try meds) and a talk therapy that works well is what I need.

Noca

Banned
To the OP, you need therapy and someone to talk about your abuse with. This is a terrible thing to happen to anyone and you shouldn't have to face it alone.