correct breathing?

cupcake

I understand that correct breathing techniques can help prevent or control a panic attack. I have asthma and have trouble breathing in, does anyone know how to breathe properly and slowly. I have tried to but cant keep it going at a slow pace for long.

kurani

Hi cupcake, one thing you can try is seeing a physiotherapist - many are trained professionally in "breathing retraining", failing that you could try a hyperventilation clinic, if you are having trouble finding one, check your local hospital as they generally have them

Lexmark

Hey I acttually seen a phycologist 2day who explained a few methods for stoping a panick attack and why/how it works.
Not that i really suffer them anymore but I do think it would of helped when I did.
With the breathing just stop breathing for 10 seconds then take a massive breath through the nose and hold for well he said 4 seconds but i guess as long as you comftably can. Then let out slowly through the mouth. Wants me to try it 30 times a day to practise it.
Also other methods are to change your posture as in if you are standing then sit or lie down....pretty much do the opposite of wat u were when u felt it coming on. And also if possible drink some cold water. For me i used to jump in a cold shower if i was home and that nearly always worked.
The other method is to try control your thoughts and talk sence to yourself. For me I know this just aint a option.

striker

Look up Yogic breathing. Learn Pranayama.

It is said that if one does this on a regular basis for a few months, then it cures most diseases.

While, I cannot confirm that statement, I am doing it myself and its been a month. I have seen my brother for the last one year and there is a noticeable change in him. He is leaner, looks younger with a glow on his face.

There are video's on Youtube. The particular variety I do is taught by
Ram Dev Baba. It involves about 6 different types of breathing to be done for 20 mins a day in the morning.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cMuqtTc6hCE

FreedomFighter

Hi Cupcake , you should try Buteyko breathing re-training , its designed specifically for people who suffer from asthma but also helps hyperventilation , im starting it myself soon .

schmoopy

After you've recognized the attack, begin to count in your head. Count 1,2,3,4 -- 1,2,3,4 -- 1,2,3,4 pausing on the dashes and so on. Now you might be thinking:

"Hey, that's easier said than done. When I'm having an attack I can't even think."

That's why you're not going to say or even think the numbers. You're going to breath the numbers.

Take a deep breath in through your nose for the 1 and 2. Then take a deep breath out through your mouth for the 3 and 4. Practice this routine for a few minutes a day until it becomes an automated exercise for you.

Practicing really helps a lot. If you practice in a controlled environment, when a Panic Attack hits, this self-defense mechanism will seem routine.