Considering taking benzos once a week - please help

emadison85

Hi,

I'm a male R&B singer in his mid-20s who have recently developed social anxiety (excessive worry, sweaty palms, tenseness, mind goes blank) due to fame / an extremely hostile environment. I've been on Cipralex for about a month now and it's not doing much for me. I've used a little bit of benzo recreationally in the past, now you've all probably heard this a million times before but I noticed that it:

- Completely removed my anxiety, good Lord what a feeling

- Uplifted my mood and changed the way I perceive the world, from a world of war and isolation to a world of peace and opportunity

- Made me supersocial, talkative, charming and witty

- Relaxed my speech organs, made my voice sound better, made me more eloquent

- Increased bodily comfort

- Increased my desire for love and sex, gave me lots of girlfriends

- Made it easier to perform on stage

I'm considering asking my doctor for benzos so I can fully enjoy the remainder of my youth. But due to the dreaded consequences of tolerance and addiction, as well as the fact that it makes me too careless for normal things such as working, learning or exercising - it's not something I'd want to take on a daily basis, but rather once a week when I'm out with my friends or on stage with my band.

What you all think? Is this a bad idea? Would I be selling my soul to the devil - a medication against anxiety whose side-effect is more anxiety? Or is it alright since I'm only planning on taking it once a week? And how long could I go on like that?

Thanks everyone!

P.S. I hope I haven't offended anybody struggling to get off benzos. I do hope, however, that there are cases where this medication has improved peoples lives for the better.

Feathers

As far as I read, do not get addicted to benzos! Once a week - not sure if you wouldn't get withdrawal symptoms then. (?) Like rebound insomnia and rebound axiety? Did you get them so far? (like next day or so?)

Have you tried changing nutrition and maybe supplements yet?
What is your nutrition like? Stay away from sugar and alcohol if you can.. (I know it's not easy in the show biz..) changing nutrition alone can do all that you described above, perhaps combined with some CBT or such. (From good books or counselling.) Have you tried EFT or TAT too? I'd try all natural options first...

Also the too many girlfriends thing can give you anxiety too, or psychologically/energetically deplete you (!) think about that!

As far as I know with meds things are 'good' (with possibly bad side effects) until people try to get off them, haven't heard about anyone who took them once a week.. Wikipedia does say you can get problems after just taking them for a week every day, and that long-term usage can lead to some problematic side-effects, I guess you read the list already.. I don't think it's worthy to risk your youth for that!! Remember the great singers that experimented with drugs (official and inofficial) before you and where it led them! (one wonders what else Janis or Jimmy or other greats could create...??)

I know show biz lifestyle can be difficult, you're too wired to sleep at night (try TAT) and might need 'extra energy' before shows (try EFT and right nutrition+exercise) - are you combatting it with enough walks in nature, fresh air, maybe CBT and a good counsellor and nutricionist?

Last edited:

emadison85

Thanks a lot man for giving me all this wonderful advice!

I've decided to suck it up like a man and lay off the meds. I've decided to spend less time in the studio making music, and more on sharpening my social skills to Obama-like proportions, so that whenever I talk, people (me included) light up. So that whenever I talk, haters immediately know this dude ain't to be ****ed with. This success will, in turn, make my brain produce all sorts of natural chemicals that no med can ever come close to. As they say, "once you find your natural self, you're gonna be alright".

Thanks again!