Confidence and Motivation course

Lotrsfan

I go to this training place where you do job searching, they organise a work placement for you to go on, help you with your maths, IT skills, help you with your CV's, anything you need help with basically. I go once a week every Monday. I do some job searching there on the computers and look through job newspapers and they have arranged for me to go on a job placements for a few weeks in retail so that i can get some experiance. There is alot of people that go there and it's only a small place. Most of them are all men, but recently there's been some teenage guys joined there and there's only three females (including me). I hate going. I mean i know that going on this job placement through them will help me to hopefully get a job in retail but i hate the other parts. I have to be there 9:30 in morning 'til 4 in afternoon. I get bored sometimes. And just find myself browsing through the compy looking at job websites. No one talks to me there. But then i don't talk to them either. But i hate making first moves. Sometimes that is the only solution, if someone don't talk to you you have to make the first move, But i can't because of this SA. I worry what i would talk about. I think i'm the only one there that don't really talk. When most come in the morning they say hello and just start talking about something. When i come in, i don't say hello because i don't know whether they would like me too. And i don't just start talking about something. I've not gone in today because they have arrange for me to have today off and go in Tuesday and Wednesday just this week because there's a Confidence and Motivation course on for 2 days and i have to do it and i'm sooo scared! I dunno what's going to be involved. It's freaking me out incase there's group activities to do. :? :cry: and in the group activites i won't be able to participate. and the people in my group or whatever might start asking me whether i talk and stuff :cry: I just feel like leaving. But i can't because i've got to still go there as well as go on this job placement(or if i get it). Which i'm also sorta worried about. This is pure torture.

Even though i don't talk to them, why don't they sort of make the first move if they are probably figuring out that i'm struggling? :cry: I would talk to them if they asked me something.

Lotrsfan

Ok, so today kinda went well. But now tomorrow the man who ran the course wants us to do a speech on something, anything really. I'm really nervous and worried i'll crashit up!

random

LotrFan,
Congrats on getting through the first day. I know making a speech is very very hard but many people share this feeling so everyone else will struggle with this too.
I took a speech class in school and one thing I really appreciated learning was that it's never a good idea to try to memorize what you will say. If you get lost during a memorized speech it's hard to find your place. When you are anxious it's hard to remember what you memorized. Instead - the professor encouraged us to write our key points on 3 x 5 inch cards (US). We were to glance at those cards and read a of the points we planned to make. Seeing the topic you then look up and talk as if you are looking at a friend -t elling them about that topic as if you were having a conversation. I wrote the points I was going to make VERY LARGE on the cards because when I am nervous I have a hard time focusing my eyes. Having general ideas, in the order I should describe them, written down was helpful to me because I would otherwise be too scared to remember them. When I got nervous I could look at the cards and remember what I was trying to say or just move on to the next point to make - no need to memorize. I hope this helps. I know making a speech is hard but once you get through one - the next one is never as hard. I am rooting for you to take this on - don't give up!