Composing Music...

x000x

I like to write and compose music (even though I've never actually finished a piece). It takes my mind off things. Anyone else play an instrument or like composing music?

btw I play Guitar and Piano (i suck at piano though)

chris420

I like to compose, just little things on guitar/keyboard/bass...never recorded anything though, I tend to get a little perfectionistic and frustrated with my songs and give up. I'd love to be in a band but my musical ability drops to around 10% around others cos of anxiety!

x000x

chris420 said:
I like to compose, just little things on guitar/keyboard/bass...never recorded anything though, I tend to get a little perfectionistic and frustrated with my songs and give up. I'd love to be in a band but my musical ability drops to around 10% around others cos of anxiety!

I know how you feel. I never finish any of my pieces because I get too frustrated with and then I give up. I also know what you mean when you say that your anxiety goes up when you try to play music around people. I get really nervous and I start shaking uncontrollably (my hands and my legs), My vision gets a little blurry, I cant keep my picking hand steady, and I just want to be done playing! I even get nervous playing around my good friend who also plays guitar. I really want to star a band, but I don't know if I could be relaxed while playing with other people.

Yeah, I also play guitar and bass, and I'm always composing little fragments of incomplete songs. I've only recorded one full song though.

wooaah

I think if you want to start a band thats a great way to conquer SA at the same time.

And.. most musicians might not realise this, but to people who are not musically gifted (like me), 10% of a musician's ability still sounds pretty awesome.

ghost_train

yeah, I write, and have recorded some songs. I've put a few on youtube and a few on myspace e.g.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9sfGsOG7Nfw
http://www.myspace.com/fieldsofthesky

I know what you mean about the troubles playing in bands. I would always get so nervous that I'd totally forget the song structure and it'd all fall apart. Plus you've got the issues of artistic compromisation. I never wanted to sing in front of my friends, either. That was especially annoying becuase, even though I'm not the greatest singer on the planet, I can generally sing in tune- unlike the frontman we had resorted to (needless to say, that band was not a huge success)

tool1919

I play guitar and really enjoy it, but like you guys i often try to write but don't get very far cos it has to be perfect and i end up unsatisfied. I also often feel nervous when playing for friends/family and i shoudln't cos it's something i know i'm good at and i know they'd like. Though something i did a few years ago was play Jeff Buckley 'Hallelujah' and sing for a couple of my girlfriends and they really loved it. It sort of makes me sad looking back cos i don't have that sort of confidence anymore and don't really know when i lost it or how. I'll get it back one day.

Kien

I am no composer but anyway I just can't create a melodi in my head. It's like I have no imagination for creating melodies. I have played alittle in the program Guitar pro, trying to recreate short simple parts of music in but never anything really good. I'm quite pleased with my latst thing though. :3

SilentType

Banned
Playin my guitar is one of the most relaxing things I have found to occupy my time. I can relate with what you guys are saying about losing ur musical abilities around other people. That's why I usually play by myself. I can make up songs on the fly, but I can't play with a band haha. Self satisfaction is what it's all about. Relaxing and escaping into the realm of music. Anybody can make music, in my opinion. Just gotta learn how to let your mind flow freely after lots of practice with your instrument of choice. Simple as that, although it takes years for most, some are musical geniuses right off the bat. Just goes to show another way in which people's brains differ greatly. 5 year old playin' Mozart on the piano is always a trip to watch haha... You people have probably seen these little musical geniuses as well. I find it quite interesting, indeed.

Peace

x000x

Kien said:
I am no composer but anyway I just can't create a melodi in my head. It's like I have no imagination for creating melodies. I have played alittle in the program Guitar pro, trying to recreate short simple parts of music in but never anything really good. I'm quite pleased with my latst thing though. :3

I use guitar pro too

moments

Hello, I am new here, I am a songwriter and singer and try to play the guitar. I relate to what was said about only being able to write fragments, and not being able to complete a song, also being nervous about playing in front of people. I love music and would love to use it as an escape mechanism, but I get frustrated really easily. I have tons of melodies and lyrics in my head and have a very hard time trying to set them to music.

Kien

x000x said:
Kien said:

I use guitar pro too
Nice. :3 You don't know if it's possible to get and add new sounds for midi stuff?

x000x

moments said:
Hello, I am new here, I am a songwriter and singer and try to play the guitar. I relate to what was said about only being able to write fragments, and not being able to complete a song, also being nervous about playing in front of people. I love music and would love to use it as an escape mechanism, but I get frustrated really easily. I have tons of melodies and lyrics in my head and have a very hard time trying to set them to music.

Cool. I've been trying to write lyrics, but I suck at writing lyrics and melodies. You should post some of your lyrics here.