compliments and criticism : I can't take either one!

ozkr

Most of you can understand why I can't take criticism(damn you SA!!!) , but does any of you have problem when receiving compliments?
Thanks to some experiences I've had , I've been having some trouble when people compliment me on something because I just feel like they're just bullshiting me.
It's like my low self esteem broke my sarcasm detector and now I feel like an idiot when someone praises something I've done because I feel like they say one thing to me and mean the opposite (people have made fun of me this way lots of times) and I feel like I lost my ability to tell apart from sincere compliments, generic compliments (like the ones people give you to cheer you up or the ones people would give to anyone for any reason) and sarcastic compliments .
I feel like most of the complimens I receive could be categorized as "generic" because of my low self esteem, which makes them seem empty and I think that if I allow myself to believe they are true ,I will be disappointed if/when I realize they're not.

Soooo... Am I just rambling about something that just happens to me?

Emma

I do the same thing....I think compliments make me more uncomfortable than criticism

FlirtyandDirty

Emma said:
I do the same thing....I think compliments make me more uncomfortable than criticism

I agree. I expect to be critised but I never expect a compliment and find it really difficult to believe that it is truly meant. I always feel that I am being patronised. Am never happy. :roll:

Tryin

FlirtyandDirty said:
Emma said:

I agree. I expect to be critised but I never expect a compliment and find it really difficult to believe that it is truly meant. I always feel that I am being patronised. Am never happy. :roll:

same for me

Shonen_Yo

When I hear a compliment, I feel the need to live up to that standard or/and I feel the need to keep the complimenter happy with me/

Sable

When someone compliments me, my immediate reaction is to try to negate it. Like when someone compliments my hair, I always say something like 'nah, it's so frizzy!', even when it's not frizzy. It feels immodest to accept a compliment.

That's usually the only compliment I receive. If someone compliments something else about me, it feels like an outright lie.

It used to be that when someone paid me a compliment, I thought they were making fun of me. I could never take a compliment seriously. But, I think that I'm mostly over that unless I sense that the person giving it is being sarcastic.

footballfan

hey this is my first post here, but obviosly like alot of people iv been reading this forum for a few months, but have been too scared to post.

But anywayz, I know what you mean about taking compliments, because I play in goal for a 5 a side team four days a week, and I know I play well most games. But when I have a good game, and I get complimented, cause I kept the team in the game, I cant accept the compliment in front of them, cause I still made alot mistakes at the same time. So I feel they are just taking the piss out of me, and critisising the mistakes I made. In the end I come out with alot of generic comments like "its a TEAM game" "we ALL played well" lol

hope this post makes sense, just thought Id share my experiences