college

shipost

Ok, I didn't ever finish school but I'm looking at going to college to get my english and maths done that I never ended up doing. Should I go? are there many differences from high school and college... I mean I really can't be doing with immature people making fun of me and stuff...

I'm assuming you mean gcses? Lots of people take gcses in college, I did when I was 17 because I was too anxious to do them when I was 16, the way I did it was to go full time, I was with people aging from 16 to 24 and I got a fair few gcses. Another way to do it is at evening classes, or a lot of people go straight to A levels and get gcses at the same time with just a few hours of classes a week (quite a few people in my A level class are doing this).

College is not like school, you wear your own clothes, only have to show up when you have a class, you don't have to call the tutors mr or miss or anything, you just call them by their names. People tend to be a bit more mature in college and you're not treated like kids. From my experience college students are a lot more supportive of each other than school kids. Mainly because some of the students are adults and have an influence on the younger people there.

College is of course stressful for someone with SA, but I quite enjoyed doing my gcses and I'm in a different college studying A levels now, and I'm still enjoying it. Hope this helps a bit x

black_mamba

crazyfairyx said:
I'm assuming you mean gcses? Lots of people take gcses in college, I did when I was 17 because I was too anxious to do them when I was 16, the way I did it was to go full time, I was with people aging from 16 to 24 and I got a fair few gcses

:eek: My sister is doing the exact same thing, I'd never heard of anyone doing gcse's at college so I reckoned she made it up to make me go away. :lol:

Shipost college can be a real mix: it depends which one you go to. Definitely try it out, you'll find more mature people there than back at school hopefully. :)

corsa

i'd say go for it. I find Uni to be less intense than highschool where it was all about the 'right image' and basically a popularity competition. People at uni are more liberal and accepting of diversity, plus a little more focused on completing their degrees than making fun of people. My general experience is that everyone is really friendly and supportive.

shipost

I'm going for it 8O

english on mondays 9am-12pm
maths on fridays 6pm-9pm

haven't applied yet but those are the ones i am going for, worse subjects there are but the ones that people care about :cry:

scatmantom

shipost said:
I'm going for it 8O

english on mondays 9am-12pm
maths on fridays 6pm-9pm

haven't applied yet but those are the ones i am going for, worse subjects there are but the ones that people care about :cry:

thats a really good idea...those 2 subjects are really important and employers always look for those types of skills when recruiting so it would be of a great benefit to you to pick up some qualifications in them

OH and Good luck :lol:

corsa

Good luck, have fun and don't feel shy to ask questions. Remember you're they're to learn and it is the lecturers job to teach and answer any questions that you have.

shipost

I did want to do more courses but I have to keep in mind I have SA and I can't go giving myself to much :( I just wanna get it all over with really fast :lol:

corsa

Do what you feel comfortable with, if you feel overwhelmed with the course load you are likely to get discouraged and drop out. Alot of people study part-time because they have other commitments (e.g working and kids). You might want to look into that because then going to uni will be a less intense experience.

shipost

just really worried incase the teacher asks a question to me infront of everyone... thats my worst fear :!:

shipost said:
just really worried incase the teacher asks a question to me infront of everyone... thats my worst fear :!:

Most tutors are more understanding than school teachers, just mention to them quietly that you're anxious about being asked a question in front of the class and you'd rather they didn't. Most tutors will respect that. In college you're less likely to get laughed at by other students for not knowing something anyway, cos they'll have their own reasons for not being able to take gcses in school, or having failed them before. I used to hate being asked math questions cos I almost never knew the answer :lol: and when I did I was too nervous to be able to explain myself properly.

shipost

cool :) I will mention that then, I so hope I don't have a teacher I might fancy because then I will be like this :oops:

but I am looking forward to it, I would say 50/50 worry/happy about it ;)

the main reason I am going is to actually help get rid my SA, strange? lol

LittleMissScareAll

Lately I've been considering going to college too(my boyfriend--and my mom have been trying to talk me into it) and I've been wondering the same thing. I also worry that I'll get made fun of due to waiting so late to go to college, if I do go...cause I'm 22. 8O But at least most people say I look young. But I can't take being made fun of or anything like that every day, like I was back in school...it was such hell for me that I had to finish by being homeschooled...if I did go to college, I wouldn't want to quit my first day, week or whatever...but I'd be afraid that's what would happen. :? At least I'd have one person there with me who cares about me though. He says I'd have alot of friends if I went there...but I know I wouldn't. He's definitely more outgoing than me(actually I'd say everybody's more outgoing than me...plus I'm not too well liked by most people). I know how it would be...he'd be the only friend I'd have. Not that I'd have a problem with that, as long as the other people didn't treat me like crap, and would just leave me alone. So I dunno if I'll go or not, I'm still thinking about it.

corsa

LittleMissScareAll said:
Lately I've been considering going to college too(my boyfriend--and my mom have been trying to talk me into it) and I've been wondering the same thing. I also worry that I'll get made fun of due to waiting so late to go to college, if I do go...cause I'm 22. 8O But at least most people say I look young.]

Don't feel anxious about your age. I still go to uni and i'm almost 22. In fact my superivsor calls me her 'little 4th year' because i'm the baby of the group she teaches. Also I've taken classes where the oldest person was 63 years old! Plus you'll find there's a large group of 'mature' age 40+ students who are there because they never had the chance to go when they were younger or they need more education for their jobs. Everyone is generally really nice, so i encourage you to go.

LittleMissScareAll

corsa said:
Don't feel anxious about your age. I still go to uni and i'm almost 22. In fact my superivsor calls me her 'little 4th year' because i'm the baby of the group she teaches. Also I've taken classes where the oldest person was 63 years old! Plus you'll find there's a large group of 'mature' age 40+ students who are there because they never had the chance to go when they were younger or they need more education for their jobs. Everyone is generally really nice, so i encourage you to go.

Thanks for the reply...I know there were some 22 year olds at the college I'd be going to, but they'd been going since they were 18-19...they were graduating or about to graduate...I'm sure somebody would have something to say about me being 22 and just starting...the people in this area are morons, most of them anyway... I know not everyone would be nice here. My boyfriend I think is the type who gets along with pretty much everybody and is likeable, and there were even people he didn't like...and I'm not even a likeable person...it's rare for me to actually like or get along with somebody. I had a weird horror-type dream about college last night...maybe because I posted this before I went to bed. :lol: