College Online w/ Social Phobia

RNB

I have been doing online college for well over 7 months now and I have SEVERE social Phobia and a panic dissorder.

I decided to post this thread to give some my personal insight. If you want to get a degree the online experiance is great for folks like us. It is you and the computer. There is interaction but its more like using facebook without all the drama and it means something to your future.

Now it is not no walk in the park anything but really. I'll try to lay out some Postives and negatives here so that you can decide for yourself. The point here is to not sell yourself short and do not let it stop you from furthering lifes oppurtunities.

Pos: No actual interaction (phyical), Work on your own pace on your own time, Can work from anywhere that a computer and internet is available (mobile phones, wi-fi, laptops).

Neg: The work is always in front of you. You know that saying leave work at work well its hard to do when your home is your work. You can not do Everything over the internet job wise. For example you can not learn to be a docter over the internet half of this job cosists of human interaction.

I hope this will open a window of insight for you so you know what your options are reguarding this area of exploration.

One last thing you should which can be a Pos, Neg or nethier depending on you. This kind of thing takes much personal disipline. You have to make it a priority unlike going to college you are surrounded by distractions (tv, family, friends, and etc...). Also its you alone. There is much more reading and thinking on your part. You can ask questions but it is mostly you and the material. Plus you might ask the question and it won't get answered for a day or so.

For me this is exactly what I need I was always more of a autodidact anyways through grade school. If you are anything like me you'll love it.

sullyS25

I appreciate the post and I am glad you like classes online! I am glad to hear that is working out for you and I hope it continues on like that.

I personally force myself to confront my fears whenever possible and however difficult it may be. I personally don't want to avoid people my whole life so I try to experience some exposure. I guess what I am saying is that if I lock myself in the house and arrange my situation to the point that I will never be around people, I will only get worse....In terms of school....I may get a degree from on online school but what happens when I finish? I will have to go to work with people, I will have to interview for a job, I personally don't like the idea of continuing to shut myself in away from human contact.....I may feel uncomfortable around unknown people but little by little I am beginning to feel more and more comfortable.