Cold Turkey off Meds - how long before drugs wear off?

Glenrowan

Hi all,

So I've been on two main types of antidepressants: the selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), then mirtazapine. The SSRIs were good for both depression and (social) anxiety, whereas the mirtazapine was only really effective for depression. Both have their side effects that I don't like - which I won't go into.

Anyway, I definitely tried to go completely off SSRIs before but got brain zaps and fell back into depression. So then I kept taking them again.

Sometime later I switched to mirtazapine. Now I can't remember (bad memory and I've been on them a while) but I believe I once tried to go cold turkey off these and slipped back into depression again.

So I wanted to switch to moclobemide most recently, and the doc told me to go one week without mirt then start half dose of moclobedmide and ramp up to full dose. Since I was going drug free for a week, I thought why not see if I can go drug free altogether? So it's been about 4 weeks since I've gone cold turkey. The first week was probably the worst as I felt itchy and tired (which is odd because mirt is supposed to make you drowsy). But after that, I haven't feel as depressed as I was before. I'm hoping that I'm finally "cured". But I heard sometimes it takes 6 weeks for all the drugs to get out of your system. Does anyone have any experience of trying to go antidepressant-free, and having rebound effects (depression relapses after drugs have worn off)?

TL;DR - from anyone's experience, how long does it take before rebound symptoms occur after stopping antidepressants?

OCDd

Well, let me start by asking what kind of depression you have? Chronic depression is, well, chronic. Its chemical and can't be "cured." But it can absolutely be treated. Other types of depression like transitional can occur throughout periods of your life and once they are over, people typically dont experience symptoms anymore. Anyways, Ive been on lexapro and zoloft. I dont remember having much of a rebound from lexapro most likely do to the fact it didnt do much in the first place. I currently take zoloft and it definitely has helped me. I am willing to bet that you will eventually have symptoms come back. The 6 week thing is definitely not a myth. I would highly recommend you stay on your meds and consult your doctor. Its all about finding the right meds, and trust me, once you do, you will know when that has occurred and it is a good feeling. Hope I was able to help at all.

Glenrowan

I've had chronic depression, though never diagnosed as such. Been on antidepressants for 13 years or so. It's only "recently" (4 years ago) I figured out I had social anxiety, and that SA was the thing most likely causing the depression (self-diagnosed).

Agree finding the right drug can do wonders - probably even saved my life before - but I've yet to have any antidepressants that don't have massive side effects.

It's now been 5 weeks and 2 days since I've been off antidepressants. I can't work out if I'm slightly depressed or just tired (and I was tired on mirtazapine before anyway, albeit a different vibe of tired). But it's definitely not the feeling of major depression I had before. If I can last 6 weeks and beyond drug-free in my current state, I'll happily take it.

I'd like to think depression due to chemical imbalance is just a theory. The brain can change (e.g. check out Norman Doidges' book "The Brain that Changes Itself"), and cognitive behaviour therapy or mindfulness can change your thinking or focus to improve your mood. I've had multiple sessions of psychotherapy, plus listening to audiotapes and reading books on strategies to overcome anxiety or social anxiety. I have also been more active trying to hit 8000-10,000 steps per day, and eating low saturated fat, low glycaemic index food. I feel like some combo of these lifestyle changes have contributed to me not having any major rebound effects going off antidepressants so far.

awkwardamanda

My understanding is that you're not supposed to quit those drugs cold turkey. You're supposed to wean off them gradually to reduce/avoid withdrawal symptoms. I took citalopram (celexa) for a few months and when I was finishing up I did something like alternate between a whole and a half pill for a few days, then take a half for a few days, then alternate between a half and none at the end. Luckily I didn't get any withdrawal symptoms.

Glenrowan

Yeah I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to quit cold turkey. Thing was, that I was supposed to switch to a different drug (moclobemide) after a week, so it wouldn't have been be cold turkey from everything. Luckily things worked out. I think I'm slightly more grumpy than before. But I feel like I'm less tired in the day, and have the ability to feel emotions again. And no more constipation - my biggest gripe. Pros definitely outweigh the cons.

awkwardamanda - so are you medication-free now? I used to take citalopram - and later, Lexapro - too.