Cognitive Behavioural Therapy

JR25

Hi. Just wanted to share my very brief experience of cognitive behavioural therapy. I tried it for four sessions on the NHS, but found it wasn't for me. I was referred there by my GP, having experienced depression, anxiety, social phobia and other issues for many years as a result of post-sympathectomy side-effects (the sympathectomies were for hyperhidrosis of the hands and feet).
I'm glad I gave it a go (if only 4 sessions), but for me I just didn't feel good coming out of them, often worse than when I went in! I was accused on many occasions of living in the past, which I would 100% agree with, but when you feel as f****d up as I do and believe it's entirely down to the gross incompetence and negligence of the NHS (in putting me through completely unnecessary surgery in the first place) then I don't see how anyone can be blamed for somewhat living in the past and wanting their old life back.
So basically it just seemed like it was going to be a waste of time really - some of the tips I will try to use in practice and social situations, but I know full well that as soon as I'm in a difficult situation and sweating like a b*****d through my back, legs, stomach etc it will all go out of the window anyway.
Anyhow, really sorry if this seems like a rant, but while I'm sure CBT works for a lot of people, I think if you suffer severe HH or compensatory HH it probably won't be too promising. That's just my opinion, and again I'm glad a gave it a little shot, but will stick with self-help books and CD's I think.

JR25