co-worker blushing issue

dpr

So I was at work and I'm in this room and I'm busy concentrating on something and one of my co-workers knocks on the window of the door and I kind of jump, cuz I didn't think anyone was watching me through the window (anyone else get this? Easily startled?)

Anyway, I feel my face get hot and I guess I blushed and of course I thought to myself "Great, I must look like the biggest idiot. There's nothing to get embarrassed about but I'm embarrassed anyway."

So I eventually leave the room and go out into the hallway where she is and she says, "You turned pink!" Not knowing what to say, I pretty much just said the first thing that came into my head, which was, "You embarrassed me."

And it was really weird. Me saying that kind of put the ball in her court. Like it was now HER turn to defend HERself or something. I can't quite explain the feeling, but it was good and kind of liberating I guess.

She was kind of surprised but didn't seem weirded out or anything, and then she said very sincerely, "Oh... I'm sorry"

And I said, "That's okay." And then we had a little conversation about something else.

Maybe next time someone asks, "Why are you turning red?" or says "Ha ha, you're turning red" or whatever, just calmly tell them that they embarrassed you. It worked for me this time, anyway!