Clear your mind -- try this

crome

I've been undergoing CBT for a couple months so I'm not sure if this will work with everyone but try this technique next time you're faced with a social situation...

Before you face the situation clear your mind, tell yourself to not think about anything. I just tell my self 'don't think about anything, keep your mind clear' before and during the situation and it really helps [me]...kinda keeps my conscious tuned in and the anxious feelings don't feel as important to me anymore. This is after much self-talk practice though so iono if it works with someone that hasn't undergone CBT.

Try it!

no1

Banned
yeah you know... I actually do that sometimes, even by force I think. I just kinda... stare off into space. but I do have a problem sometimes being too self conscious.

elProscrito

saying to yourself "don't think" is not gonna help you. you should not think at all, just act. the more you wait the more you hesitate the more you get inside your head and the more awkward you act.
so just do it. i know it's easier said than done, but it's the only proper way to do it. at firt you have to grit your teeth and act despite your feeling, but after some time it becomes second nature.
i still have problems with that, but sometimes i can push myself and act spontaneus.

EmO_tionAlChick

I agree with you

elProscrito said:
saying to yourself "don't think" is not gonna help you. you should not think at all, just act. the more you wait the more you hesitate the more you get inside your head and the more awkward you act.
so just do it. i know it's easier said than done, but it's the only proper way to do it. at firt you have to grit your teeth and act despite your feeling, but after some time it becomes second nature.
i still have problems with that, but sometimes i can push myself and act spontaneus.

To me saying and trying to keep my mind clear doesnt help for me, it actually makes me more anxious and nervous...but if im actually looking or touching something or looking at my phone or talking on the phone it will erase all my thoughts. So for those of you out there who keep repeating "dont think of nothing" that wont help it will get u more anxious, just try doing something rather than think.