CITALOPRAM AND ALCOHOL

den1

I've been on citalopram for about 3months now. My doctor told me it's not advized to drink on them.
I have been out a few times and drank but only felt a bit down the next day.

Anyway I went to a house party last friday and drank queit alot of punch, my head took a funny turn and I started to act extremely strange I was doing really wierd things that I don't really want to say on here coz it's embarrasing.
Later on in the night I became really aggresive and nasty which isn't in my nature atall.

I don't think my mates want to speak to me after this as they were despiratley trying to get me to leave as soon as I woke up the next day :oops:

Defo gonna stay off the beer for some time methinks :lol:

Has any1 else had any strange experience like this while on citalopram?

Danuk

lol since taking citalopram ive been to pub 4 times , 2 of which ended in police cell after so much drink i get bloody aggressive if someone anoys me or anything ill be focused on smashing there head

blue

I have taken citalopram for a year now and I still drink alcohol i usually dont take the tablet on the day im drinking or take it a few hours befor other wise i get aggressive :evil:

Sean146

ive been on citalopram for 4 weeks now and havent really noticed anything different when im drinking :?

alter_ego

I take 10mg of Cipramil (escitalopram, I thnk they're similar to citalopram...?) a day and I've also sometimes taken alchohol. On the advice leaflet it says it's "advisable" not to drink alcohol with the tablets but it also says they don't know the side effects.

I was very wary the first time I drank when I was taking cipramil and it wasn't intentional. My friend had already bought me a glass of cider without realising I was intending to have a soft drink with our lunch.

It had no effect whatsoever so, since then, I've sometimes had alcohol (especially at Xmas :D ) and I've been fine. The only thing is, I'm not a big drinker, I usually drink wine or whatever that is 7% or less and maybe only about four or five glasses of whatever I'm drinking.

I think the main thing to remember if you're going to mix cipramil and similar tablets and alcohol is not to overdo it with the alcohol. :)

alumnidogg

Been on CT for about 11 months now, have always drunk on it (I drink every day pretty much) so I dunno what it would be like without - I dread to think that I've wasted a year when that little white pill could have made me super-happy!. Nah not really, I think its been effective for me as a mood stabiliser which has helped my CBT. I don't think any pharmaceutical is gonna make things 1005 ok, especially when us SA sufferers are such perfectionists. I had Cipramil for a while, and to be fair it was better than CT but... I could no longer 'stand tall' if you know what I mean!

Mithras

I can vouch also for bad reactions between citalopram and alcohol,i become really violent and sort of blackout for the duration of a few hours,thats why i have stopped drinking now.I asked my doctor about it and she said it was advisable *not* to drink with it.But there was not any significant side effect known with citalopram...