Cinema / Movie Theatre Anxiety

groove88

Sorry Tom, can't say i have that problem. I would if i knew i had to speak to groups of people in there, but luckily with that enviroment hardly anyone speaks.

How bad would you say your SA is?

sunwindandfire

If I drive seperately to the movie I'm fine but if I go in a car with other people I'm the same way as you....makes me feel trapped there and causes panic.

Foxglove

Hi Tom. I, too, feel anxious in places where I feel trapped. Are you able to choose which seat you sit in? In movie theaters here in Germany you are assigned seats in the movie theater. That sucks. Anyway, if you are allowed to choose where you sit, maybe sitting next to the aisle would make you feel more at ease. That way, if you need to get up, you don't have to squeeze past a whole row of people. Whenever I go to places like that, or to a restaurant, I always make sure that I can sit where I can easily and discreetly leave if I feel the need to. As far as movies go, I usually wait 'til they come out on DVD. Theaters are too expensive, anyway.

Jacky1980

Hi,scatmantom
According to your description, I think your symptom is more like OCD, "what if i have a panic attack" is an unwanted and troublesome thought, when it comes to you, you dislike it, you are afraid of it, you subconsciously think "how can I behave like that", "what if I were not thhinking like that", when you are trying to repel such thought, such thought would become much stronger, and finally you will go into a vicious circle. However, it is only my rough estimation according your simple description. So I would like you to tell me more about yourself, like whether you have got such panic experience in cinema.

Jacky1980

Hi,scatmantom
Actually you have a tendency to OCD, in OCD, there are 2 conditions, one is unwanted thought or action, the other is "counter unwanted thought", means you are making efforts to repel or eradicate such thoughts, the conflict between them will lead to OCD. Maybe you are not severe enough, or the frequency of meeting such situation is quite low (only in the cinema), so you don't feel it is OCD. So here I will give you some suggestion to stop it in the early stage:
1. According to Newton's law of force and counter-force, how forcibly you repel such thoughts, how forcibly it would counter-attack you, finally you are bound to be the loser, just like if you try to lift yourself up by pulling your hair, you will never succeed, and furthermore, you will suffer from pain and ache. So now stop any conscious efforts against such thought, you will never defeat it, from the bottom of your heart, surrend to it. saying to yourself:" OK, I give up, if you want to come for me, just come".
leave a space in your mind for your unwanted thoughts and feelings, let them burn there themselves, finally they will go out themselves. but it needs time, it is a process.

2.attend more sports, sports are good for the treatment of any neurosis such as generalized anxiety, SP and OCD. I suggest you to do some long-distance jogging, tennis, badminton,swimming, or anything else which need quick response and energy consuming. they can fully reanimate your muscle and rusty brain which has been long immersed in anxiety. When you are exhausted, your anxiety will also be relieved

I don't know whether you understand my words, more questions, please ask me here