cholinesterase

Jezza

As I was thinking about HH like I do all the time, I had the following thoughts--> sweating begins due to 2 possible systems in every human...one of them is the nervous system (hypothalamus, pituitary gland, nerve pathways) and one of them are glands secreting hormones (thyroid, adrenal glands etc). Obviously the two work together, but as I understand it correctly, the impulse to sweat can originate in both these systems (difficult to say in english).
Why not lay out all the different elements in these systems and find out if anything could be wrong with each of these seperate elements...

For instance...

Sweat glands are innervated by the sympathetic nervous system; however, because the primary neurotransmitter involved with the innervation of sweat receptors is acetylcholine, and many of the glands are under the control of the hippocampus via nerve pathways typically thought of as parasympathetic. The nerve terminal releases acetylcholine, which binds to M3 receptors on the sweat gland and causes the secretion of sweat. Acetylcholine is partially degraded by Cholinesterase enzyme (AchE); thus anything which interferes with AchE activity causes too much sweating :eek: .

Anybody had some cholinesterase levels checked?
Anyone thinking that might be helpful?

Jezza

My best guess would be no...Because there probably isn't a shortage of cholinesterase causing HH, but this is uncertain...At least, cholinesterase plays a part in mediating sweating impulses it seems, but there are a lot of other choline based neurologic activities going on inside the body (creation of suliva for instance, and basically anything you can link to the negative side effects o anticholinergics).

In case of a deficiency, you would expect those to be affected too (for instance, excessive salivation), but in my experience I don't have those, quite the opposite in fact, and that is without meds...

Still, there are some documentations about people with cholinesterase deficiency, but they usually don't realize this, which can be dangerous when some anaesthetics are used on them in case of a surgery.

On wikipedia :lol: it says cholinesterase has been won through genetically modified goats :lol: I don't know what to think of that, but it's a good story, true or not...

Anyway, I would think it would be down right dangerous to take any supplements with this without there being a lot of research and clear proof of a deficiency...basically, reflecting on it I don't think there's much in it, but as a long shot when nothing else can be found it might at least be worth it to look at the levels, which apparently is quite easy to do....

Jezza

I would have liked to but most 'medics' in hospitals don't really take someone who complains about HH seriously...so they just refuse to. In this case I can even understand it but hey, they won't even check adrenalin levels...

So basically mostly they just say...yeah...tough luck, live with it.

Had another good example of one of those this morning...

When I really think about what they're doing it makes me sick. One would think being a doc should be about helping people, but really a lot of them just seem interested in banking enough cash to buy their Cayennes...

"yeah, the way you feel about HH is mostly your own perception"

I don't know how I kept from hitting that idiot.