Changing your thoughts

stardog

Any ideas on how to do this?? For me the thoughts come automatically, I can't even identify them let alone change them :?

stardog

ever heard of CBT, the basic premise is changing your thoughts, thats what I'm talking about here

I can't actually go for CBT because I was rejected, which might have had something to do with the fact that my doctor sent this pathetic message to the therapist guy that went something like

"he's a little bit shy, could you refer him on for CBT?"

Then I got a letter from them stating that my case wasn't 'serious enough'

What a joke! :roll:

longlivesolitude

I also find it hard. I think the idea is that you just say new thoughts in your head or more effictively write down the negative thoughts and then the positive alternatives. Like "Everybody think I'm looking weird and nervous" to "People probably don't notice me more than everyone else". It needs to be done a lot and it's really hard to change thoughts if your in a bad mood. That's how it is for me. I think it's important to try to recognise your negative thoughts and try to put some words on 'em before you try finding an alternative :lol:

corrinaelizabeth

have u tried reading a cbt book?i mean it takes lots of practising and hard work and most cbt therapists arnt very good ne way,i know what u mean tho i can hardly ever identify my thoughts but its gona take lots of practising lol,so have u ever considered a book?sorry 4 rambling lol

scatmantom

well CBT is thought to be a more successful way of people in our situations to find help. I wasnt on a strict CBT plan, but my treatment incorporated many ideas about CBT.

Before I started my treatment, i used to look ahead at things i was anxious about and think of a way of avoiding or escaping them. After some sessions with a good therapist I have learned not to avoid the situations, but to survive/endure them so that I put my energy into STICKIN at it, rather than attempting to escape it.

scatmantom

well CBT is thought to be a more successful way of people in our situations to find help. I wasnt on a strict CBT plan, but my treatment incorporated many ideas about CBT.

Before I started my treatment, i used to look ahead at things i was anxious about and think of a way of avoiding or escaping them. After some sessions with a good therapist I have learned not to avoid the situations, but to survive/endure them so that I put my energy into STICKIN at it, rather than attempting to escape it.