CBT Does it work well for SA?

Anonymous

CBT (Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy) focuses on changing thought patterns and teaching ways to relax and change behavior. In my opinion, it is a load of crap compared to some other very effective approaches out there. Well, maybe I was a bit harsh. It is statistically proven to work, but for something like SA there is a solid chance it might not work at all and if it does there is no telling how long it will take. It might take months just to make a dent in SA.

applesewer

I’m just reading a book about CBT at the moment. I think I’ve actually been using CBT techniques for a few years now without even realising. The core idea is that “what you think affects the way you feel”. Mind over matter, all that kinda stuff. I think it’s kind of about recognising your purpose in any situation and then differentiating any irrational fears that arise out of SAD. Plus there’s a lot of thinking positively involved which I think I’d recommend as well. I think there’s always a choice to how we react…i.e. positively or negatively. Sometimes it’s harder to think positively than others but I think the choice is still there.

Anonymous

From reading various forums about SA, I've not seen too many people say they've been cured of SA. I see lots of negative threads, people feeling very low and unhappy, people posting how bad their problems are. But not many people saying they are getting better.

However, there are a very postive posts and stories from people who seem to be certain that they are a long way on the road to recovery - these people are all using CBT. The key seems to be to keep practising CBT techniques every day. It will be hard work but the rewards will be huge.

I don't see any really encouraging stories from people who just turn to drugs. Drugs won't cure faulty thinking and SA is essentially faulty thinking. Drugs can have unpleasant side-effects, withdrawl symptons when you try to come off. And when you do try to come off, just how is your SA going to be any better? I think you'd have to keep taking the drugs for the rest of your life.

I've seen some people try CBT and said it didn't work. But it's usually clear they were lazy, didn't put in much effort and gave up quite quickly. You're not going to change the way you think by trying a couple of sessions of CBT. It's going to take many months of daily effort. Eventually your automatic thoughts will begin to change for the better. This seems to be the route to recovery and normality.

I want to get better and then I want to stay better.

Anonymous

Yes I think the key is to practice the CBT techniques every day.The reasoning behind this is that it's taken years for us to arrive at our current (usualy negative) thinking,so we can't simply change it overnight or indeed by only doing CBT therapy once a week.This makes sense as we have been hammering our current thoughts into our brains everday for years,not once a week for a couple of months.I thing that that is where most people fail,they don't see results and give up within a short time.I have also heard people say that their CBT therapist didn't stress to them that they need to do their CBT exercises everyday without fail,and this is one of the main reasons why it wasn't succesful.So if any of you are thinking of going down the road of seeing a CBT therapist or doing CBT as self help "then do it everyday" and don't expect to see big changes quickly.I don't think it's hard to spend 30-60 minutes a day on this,as I'm sure most of us waste way more time than this doing nothing because of SA.One thing I've noticed is that no one has been cured and we certainly won't be cured by waiting around and hoping to wake up one morning with all our problems gone.I have just started Dr. Richards tapes and it is hard,especially as it's a long long time since I had to do homework in the evening.I'm also waiting to see a CBT therapist.