Career issues...

lilmutegirl

So, I am working in the field I would like a career in. Thus far, I am an entry-level employee, but at least I have my foot in the door, and I hope to advance after I finish school. I have not told anyone at this job that I want to continue there as a career because I feel like I have no idea what I'm doing...I am not very familiar with some policies and procedures, mostly because I rarely deal with them, and when I do, I ask a co-worker for help. I just filled out my appraisal, and from my perspective, on most aspects of my job, I am a "limited contributor"--meaning, I don't fulfill the requirements consistently or completely. Soon I should find out what my manager has to say.
Tonight, I felt like a total loser, because I screwed up (though, in all reality, maybe I'm overreacting). The clerk was on a break, so I was supposed to cover the counter (check books in/out, take fines, etc.). I asked someone who is from another branch working at our library for the week for help on something, and when we were done, he said he would cover the counter. I heard the bell ring, which indicated that someone needed help, and I looked out from the back room. Someone was being helped by another employee, and there were a couple of teen boys behind her. I glanced at them, then looked over at the guy who said he would cover counter, who was sitting at the desk several feet away, and I went back to the back room. Later, the girl who was helping the patron that I saw asked if the teen boys got any help. Both the other guy and I thought the bell was rung by mistake. Then, the other girl debated whether or not she should leave, because she didn't feel very confident about his ability to deal with things...the thing is, I should've asked if those boys needed help, since I was right there. I feel like a **** and an idiot. I feel like both of us could take some blame, since he said he would do the job, but I was actually in close proximity to the patrons. He seemed to shrug it off, but I don't feel like I can. I almost want to talk to the third co-worker about it, and admit fault. She's a very nice and understanding person, as well as a very knowledgeable source at my job.
Should I say something, or just let it go??

Quietguy11

Do what's on your heart. A lot of people get strong feelings to do something but cast it off completely as being "too hard on yourself" which can sometimes be the case of course, but in this case, I would do what you feel right. Chances are they won't think nothing of it, and will be surprised that you were so concerned about it, but it would also show them at the same time that you are a person who has a heart, and cares. Do it if you feel it's the right thing to do, but don't be anxious or upset over it. No one is perfect, nor should anyone be expected to be perfect. I hope this bit of information helped.

If it were me, and I have never had a job like yours, I'd let it go and not dwell on it and if someone asks about it I'd say I thought they rang the bell by mistake. Plain and simple. If that's not good enough for them, tell them that the more experienced employee thought the same. I doubt they'll inquire about it. I hope staying there works out for you.