Can't get close to anyone

recluse

I remain mysterious to my workmates at work, i mean i am pleasant to them and talk to them but i have an invisible barrier which stops me from crossing the line between 'work aqquaintance' and 'friend'. I don't know how i will stop my loneliness if i am always so distrustful of everyone. I think that many people see me as being cold and distant but i wish non-social phobia sufferers would understand that this phobia exists.

alex29

I always think people are talking to me just because they feel bad for me. I'm friendly with everyone too, so I don't think they think I'm cold, but I think they see me as caught up in myself and disinterested in their lives. But...I'm afraid to show an interest because if they don't respond to it then I'll look dumb.

cbazy

i always stop myself from talking to people if i start to. or else i will stutter or sputter or say something silly out of nerves and even bother them!

have you ever had someone look at you and say
why are you talking to me?

its wretched
:evil:

Elulla

I always tend to find that most people think i'm ok and that i'm a bit of a mad nead which i am but i can't wobn't let anyone get to close to me becasue it seems that it always ends up the same way, they either just want somthing from you (with no return when u need it) or they drop a great big turd on your head again usually when u least need it.

...why aren't people just .... i don't know people i guess instead of out for themselves and f**k everyone else.

Sorry need to rant. not been the best few days and with crimbo coming it all starts again.

recluse

cbazy said:
i always stop myself from talking to people if i start to. or else i will stutter or sputter or say something silly out of nerves and even bother them!

have you ever had someone look at you and say
why are you talking to me?

its wretched
:evil:

A new guy had started in work and i asked him where he was from and he asked ''Why?'', i was only trying to start a conversation and that's the thanks i got. I have noticed that a lot though, that some people look at mw weird when i ask them stuff, but i think it's my lack of conversational skills that's to blame.

HexNoir

A new guy had started in work and i asked him where he was from and he asked ''Why?'', i was only trying to start a conversation and that's the thanks i got. I have noticed that a lot though, that some people look at mw weird when i ask them stuff, but i think it's my lack of conversational skills that's to blame.

No, it's not a lack of skills at all. I get the same thing, but I've finally been able to pinpoint it. It's confidence - people expect that, especially if YOU'RE the one asking the questions or starting the conversation. If you seem awkward about doing so, it can send off the wrong signals! But by all means, it's not a lack of conversational skills or knowledge or anything of that sort. People just feel weird if you seem like you're making simple conversation out to be less casual than it should be, and all they can think of at the moment is "Hey wait... What's this guy's motive?"

osse

Vulvectomy said:

No, it's not a lack of skills at all. I get the same thing, but I've finally been able to pinpoint it. It's confidence - people expect that, especially if YOU'RE the one asking the questions or starting the conversation. If you seem awkward about doing so, it can send off the wrong signals! But by all means, it's not a lack of conversational skills or knowledge or anything of that sort. People just feel weird if you seem like you're making simple conversation out to be less casual than it should be, and all they can think of at the moment is "Hey wait... What's this guy's motive?"
You are right, but the guy who asked "Why?" is a total retard. It's not always going to be our fault just because we have a disorder.

rado31

Vulvectomy said:

I like this post - so i quoted it, it give me one social skill , so the total sum of my skills is increaed (!).