Can you ever recover from SP/SA?

Aerandir

Is there a remote possibility, that, somehow, I can recover, completely? have a true normal life, being what i was really meant to be. If not...

Boundless

Thats very true yeti,hard work and determination can beat this,and as for meeting new people one day i may very well be seeing you :p
Hope this place i goto can help me get better :)

allanboy

You can give SA a hell of a beating, but the little bitch will still be there. It´s part of your(ours actually) way of being, our personality.
Lately i´ve been changing, to all directions possible, my general phobia is fading away. Sometimes it comes back and hits my new me right in the face, leaving myself with a embarassed face. Well, i sure know i´m not going to give up.
I´ve been stepping on a lot of shit lately, yes, but it´s all part of the process. Right? :wink:

MaGuS

Yes, without a single doubt, you can completely recover and travel far beyond. Yet your going to have to be brave and face your fear .... and I believe you all ready knew that ... I think we all do.

Books/Therapy, etc. can only guide you... you have to walk the path.

and if I could I would give you a hug and wish you the best of luck.

redlady

Speaking for myself i am under no illusion that i will ever COMPLETELY get over this - and that doesn't make me a defeatest - i do believe that i will get to a stage that i will be able to manage it better that's for sure.

young

I don't think it will ever completely disappear. I think it goes into hiding. And you can live your live normally. For me thou, i'm in the anticipatory stage. Where i'm expecting something bad to happen. So i sabbatoge every attempt of mine.

Aerandir

I've been fighting against it since.. so much time.. i'm tired of fighting and I certainly don't want to do it all my life, i don't want it to be hiding in the darkest spot of my head. want to stop fighting, running away. I just want to be normal, to go back to the time when nothing mattered and start all over again, without sa... I want my life back. I want a life.

kiwi

I think it depends on the type of SA you have.

If you have a specific fear, then I believe that can be overcome by exposure therapy.

If you suffer from anxiety or depression then maybe meds will do the trick.

But for me I have been shy and afraid of people all my life and I really think it's just part of who I am. In the past I have forced myself into situations that I fear, and maybe if I kept doing that then the fear would subside over time, but I would never enjoy those types of situations like normal people do.

But everyone's different, so unless you try you'll never know whether you'll be one of the success stories that we all dream of being.

MaGuS

redlady said:
Speaking for myself i am under no illusion that i will ever COMPLETELY get over this - and that doesn't make me a defeatest - i do believe that i will get to a stage that i will be able to manage it better that's for sure.

redlady I know you can beat it... all you have to do is trust yourself... isn't that all? I am confident one day you will. You seem tolike people too, don't you? I mean you seem to enjoy sharing your ideas with people and communicating w/ all your posts.

I believe we can overcome anything but only when we are willing.

redlady

Thankyou for your words - i wish i could believe that was all there was to it. It is just that this condition is so ingrained in me, to such an incredible degree that i can't see that i will ever be completely rid of it. Yeah i like people - i just wish that i wasn't so afraid of them. You know it's a lot different here than it is out there.