Can you beat SA/SP without drugs?

Ulee2501

drugs good

depends how chronic it is and if you are depressed. I'm no expert but I feel much better and relaxed on them than not- aurorix. I feel more positive and willing to receive help and people say im nicer. The ownly downside is that im aware of when I do feel down- got to go out everyday. With your Question- If you think you can - give it a go. :? I go back down without them but then i hadn't even seen CBT or even know that other people feel exactly how i do

Crimefish

If you think you can can beat SA without drugs, then you should try.
However, you shouldn't feel bad about using prescription drugs to get better.
There is a clear line between 'drug use', and 'drug abuse'.

shep

I'm retired now after dealing with sp since I was a teen. Its affect on me was not as devastating to me as it appears to be to others. I suppose that in severe cases, drugs can help some deal with their sp much better than they can do on their own. However, if someone has sp, I would not recommend that they take the type of job, an office job perhaps, that is rough on anyone with sp or attempt to attend university classes and depend on drugs to get them through from day to day. It makes more sense to me to treat sp as the disability it often is and work around it with a low stress job, etc. This could very well cut into someone's dreams of a career and all the rest of it, but one's mental health is far more important in my opinion. Someday researchers may know the exact cause of sp and be able to treat it in a more natural way than with the drugs available today.

shep

The last thing I want to do is discourage you or anyone else. I believe that some people can handle sp better than others and you should read more posts for other ideas and opinions. I believe we all carve our own nitch in life and a lot depends on your own individual abilities and gifts. You now have the advantage of the internet and a wealth of info on sp which was not available when I was a young person with it. I also believe that research may find shed more light on this in the near future and in the meantime you should learn all you can and not be overly concerned about one persons's ordeal or opinion. Have a good look around at the info that is out there and do what you feel is right for you. Have you looked at the SP-UK site? If not, you will surely find more info there as well and the Trophy Room will be of special interest because there you will find some success stories. All the best.

Ladystardust

I only recently found out I had social phobia before that I knew i was suffering from depression and just general anxiety. Looking back I think I have allways had this difficulty I just could not say what it was. I was told as a child I was shy. To get back to the point I have allways been wary of prescription drugs for any ailment. I was also at one point involved in the animal rights movement (I am also vegan)and as a consequence of finding out about animal testing I decided against drugs produced in that way. I have been trying to get my social phobia under control by puting my self in the dreaded situations on a scale of difficulty. The major difficulty with this is that I have to keep myself motivated and I am confusing my self in what order to attempt them. However this is preferable to me than using products produced from the pain of other living beings. I use some aromatherapy oils and Bach Flower Essences I don tknow if this is of any help or interest to you.

Anonymous

Just yesterday I posted a method on a new thread naming it "Whether you hate it or not it works, so share it!", my friend had the worst kind of SP you can imagine, i really mean it, but after he practiced on this method for a few minutes, he claimed that not only has he over come his anxiety for good, but he has also gained an inner power to make others pay more attention to him and sometimes even loose their control while speaking to him! Well the good thing for my friend was that he was with me and i could explain the method in full detail until he was able to fully understand it and apply it in real life, becuase the most important thing about it is understanding to call others full attention towards yourself (at this instance the brain might get really nervous but it will overcome it natuarly if you keep on calling their attention) and try to pull their energy towrards yourself whether they pay attention or not. It is wanting them to be proud of you no matter what, that is important, not if they are proud of you or not. It is easy, if you understand what it means to expect something from someone, not ask him for sympathy just because you are feeling anxious, actually feeling anxious will derive them away because you will show that anxiety in one way or another and they will feel that feeling within, it's the body's polite way of saying get away from me, i don't want you to be around me, or and i don't want you to realize what i am doing or saying, but by going through this practice you are actually forcing the brain to call that person's attention not push it. Keep on with it no matter how much worse you feel at the beginning I hope you get better, my friend never used drugs and he always hated the fucking psychologists agreeing with me that the stupid ones are out there working for us people and the smart ones are working for the gov. to make real sheeps out of us humans!

Oh, and by the way, in the practice, it's not really important how far away or how close the person you are asking to pay attention to you is, it can even be God, a close friend, or an object if you feel better asking them in the first place. Remember you don't have to ask for their attention by mouth, it can all be done in the mind, with the mind's inner mouth (your second mouth)!

I hope I was able to explain it crealy, please inform me if it works for you too. then share it with others even those without SA/SP will feel more energized with it!

Anonymous

Yes

Hi, it can be done, I did it and so have others, in fact I think that medications often cause more trouble and good, people start to feel better often when they start taking them, but find that they are never truely happy and still have the same thoughts, just without the anxiety, they often find everything is worse or the same when they come off them. I think medications have their place, particularly for when people are very unstable and suicidal and could seriously harm themselves or other people, I think they are greatly overused and over rated though and are no solution, they just mask the problem and should only be a temproary measure and be used along side progress towards psychological change. (concluded from my own personal experiences of myself and others, I am no medical professional).

I learnt a lot that helped me make the changes I needed through studying NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) and CBT (Cognitive Behavioural Therapy), let me assert that NLP and CBT will not cure your SA, what you do with what you learn from them can. You do not have social anxiety, you are socially anxious, if you attack social anxiety, you attack yourself, if you try and get rid of social anxiety you will likely fail, if you work towards replacing it with something positive then you can succeed.

Have faith in your ability to learn and change, it can be done and the journey is fun and rewarding, not hard painful, but it does require you to take action and lots of it. It can be done, we all can do it, no one can do it for us, but we can benefit from others help.

I wish you all the best,

Nick.

p.s. help will be comming soon at www.socialanxiety.org.uk

Anonymous

Paxil

I'm just trying to get bust a nut in some sexy mama's mouth and then have my dingle berries licked while I chill and drink a beer...Paxil sucks

will_b

terresap said:
If you are telling me that its never going to go away then what? am I stuck in this fukn crazy head forever? will I ever be able to do the things that I can only dream about? Im really not going to get any better am I? Im fukd for life? Please tell me its not true.

...... so plan on probably working in an office environment when I finish. I can sort of handle uni, im strong and will my best at it. I was under the impression that doing things that will be hard and confronting for my SP will help me, if I get out and do the things that are hard then doesnt that make it easier to cope with next time? Am I fooling myself? Im not sure if I want to know the answer to that.
This isnt good.

I think a more positive way of putting it is that knowing you have social phobia, you can manage your life better. That may involve drug therapy, it may not. It may involve other things like CBT. Basically you decide. You be proactive about it. It's important to feel that you are in control of your life.

It seems you are successful at some situations, like going to Uni, but you have limits. So know your limits and work round them. This way you don't waste effort on things that are not right for you and direct your energies into areas where you are more confident you can succeed.

I have worked in an office for many years and always found it unbearable and ended up changing jobs a lot, with adverse effects on my career. I am in my late 50s and still at the bottom of the pile. I am off work at the moment because of the SP. HOWEVER, I am also doing courses that will lead to a career in counselling. I believe I will be able to handle this because it is nearly all one-on-one work and everyone says I am doing great at this. So, it's a case of me managing the situation in a way that works for me. You need to do the same. You may end up working in an office as you choose and overcoming the issues you have. Or you may rethink your choice and do something else. It's important you do it in a way where you keep control over your life.

A lot of people in IT work from home. This is a compromise you might want to consider. You are in the office say one day a week to attend meetings, talk with the boss etc., and at home the rest of the time working remotely. Just a thought, this might work for you, it might not.

Bezerkian

Thus far, I have not used anykind of outside help to improve my social habits. I'm kind of happy but, where I am is not enough, I want to be absolutly normal.

Maybe if I can get a hold of a good e-book, I might be able to help myself to greatness. Any recommendations?

cody2468

Its up to the indivudual as to whether or not to use medication to overcome SA or any other problem. I personally have chosen not to but that is my choice. Some people struggle to get through each day and the medication helps them to cope better.

Medication wont cure your SA, it wont get rid of the symptions it will just help you cope abit better. The only way to overcome SA completley is through CBT and changing the way you think about things. People with SA are usually very negative and have low self esteem so that is where CBT comes in.

black_mamba

Thought I'd share this discovery: natural ways to fight anxiety/depression book

1405077581.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Juicey cover. :p