Can depression cause..

loserinamailbox

Can depression cause a lack of sad feelings when a person that one knows dies? I can't figure out why I was not sad when my grandmother died last spring. I wasn't happy or anything, I just felt like I normally do. Maybe it's just because I'm sad all the time so it didn't feel any different.. any thoughts?

Emma

I have to wonder that myself, the same thing happened to me, everyone else was crying, except me, I thought, everyone dies, I was sad and I missed her but...........I didn't feel like the world was over

Marvolo

I was thinking that it had happened only to me. I understand the situation described by you. :(

Well, it's known that depression can make the one's feeling more "flat" or shallow, I hope you know what I mean. Maybe it's actually the cause of the lack of great sadness in you. :?

It's actually sad itself, as we are sad of not proper thing (or rather of nothing, you know)... :( :roll:

Toad

This happened to me when my grandfather passed away three years ago. I didn't really feel anything...didn't really effect me at all. For me though, I attribute it more to the fact that he had Alzheimer's and hadn't known who I was for many years before he passed away...I wasn't all that close to him as a result.

jayo

Yes - it's because we are already down in the gutter.
Other people are joining us there for that day or two.
Could it be that unconsciously we're not sad - we're happy that that person no longer needs to be in this world.
Or that we feel we don't need to perform for people - it's ok to be quiet and depressed at this time.

okkamsrazor

You know, after being prescribed Cipramil Ive found that I am emotionally severed. I find it impossible to cry out of emotion. Sometime I cry tears in moments which dont call for it!! Its weird, but the last time was when I was catchin a bus and when I went to rub my eyes there were tears coming out!! (Has anyone else had this?) I dread having to go to a funeral coz I think id have to pretend grieving.
*scratches head**
..I fink my brains slightly befuddled....thnx cipramil! :evil: