Can anyone help...

Anonymous

Hi

I'm 17 years old and have had what I suspect is SA since I was about 13. I don't have any friends and don't get out very much at all. I have had a few friends in the past few years, but when I start to really get to know them well, I start getting paranoid about why they would want to spend time with me or if it's just some cruel trick. Once this begins I completely cut them off and avoid them, so that's the end of that friendship.

My family doesn't discuss personal issues so I would never be able to bring myself tell them about this, meaning I can't get professional help. I saw somewhere else on this site that someone posted some links to groups that help people like me, but they all had price tags of $500+. As I have quit my job, I don't have any income so can't do this either. Does anyone know of any groups that I can go to that are, well... Cheaper? In other words, free. I don't care if they're not very good, I just want to be able to meet people that I can relate to...

PS. This was the 4th time I've written this post and it's still not right, but it'll have to do... :oops: :p

Thanks

Anonymous

Help

Hi there,

I just read your post and was wandering where you live. I am assuming you live in Australia. If so there are support groups in most states...
Check out www.socialanxietyassist.com.au They have a list of support groups for social phobia and other related anxiety disorders.

Cheers

Anonymous

hi,
the good thing about not having a job is that instead of paying like $95 an hour like other people, you can get it for free from the same people, just for being poor [im poor so i know]

i think i have this problem as well, and i can relate to those sort of things like "why would anyone want to talk to me?" and im boring, ive got no proper interests that anyone would want to heat about, and im even hesitant to voice my opinion when i would have before... im pretty sure a lot of that has to do with self-esteem and being comfortable in places you dont normally go... so i know that is theoretically what i need to do, just not how to do it

but yeah, you dont need to tell anyone, just call you local community health centre or equivalent and they can help you... because unfortunately, this isnt the sort of thing that will just go away :(

neddy

Hello I can relate to you. I used to always think the same thing you did. When someone is trying to be friendly or shows an interest in you you wonder what they want, why do they want to talk to you when you feel so bad about yourself.

Chances are they like you for the way you are, you may only feel that way because of low self esteem, some people out there do really want to get to know you for the way you are. I have also cut myself off from people and pushed them away because I thought I wasnt good enough to be around them. The only problem is that the only person you are hurting is yourself.

You do not have to pay to get good counselling if you can't afford it, there is help out there and it doesn't cost alot. I was getting some counselling before my hours in my job changed and I had to stop going, it only cost me $15 an hour, if you are unemployed it could be free. If you don't know where to start looking ring up a help line and they will be able to help you get the information.

Anonymous

The Salvation Army offer psycologists based on your income. If you don't earn anything maybe you don't have to pay anything :) You can just contact any salvation army office and they should be able to help you.

Anonymous

U could even try a Universtity. Even if u are not a uni student u can still ring the psych area and book in, there can be a waiting period of around a mth or so but it might help u?

tommydog

hi if your in sydney, theres a social anxiety\panic attack group out in the western suburbs. Its six weeks from memory, i did this course about 4-5 years ago, it was great. Enquire about it at the mental health clinic in mt druitt.

edit : sorry i just realised the date of the post, this blokes probly long gone by now :lol: