Bullying - my story

Glumlock

My name is Glumlock, and i'm a bully victim

Naw seriously though, i'd like to share my experiences with bullying with the rest of this forum.

First off, some background. i'm 17 and i'm from a poor part of Northern England. I wouldn't say i had the easiest start in life, but i could have had it a lot worse. My dad pissed off when my mum was still pregnant with me at the age of 19, so she had no where to live. Typically he wanted nothing to do with me until he realised he could claim money if i lived with him but that wasnt till i was much older. Anyway, my mum lived with my grandma at the time, and had to work 2 jobs just to keep me fed and clothed. She was a very brave woman - her only concern was that i had a bed to sleep in, nothing else. My granny brought me up.. i rarely ever saw my mother till i was about 4, when she did her nurse training and became a psychiatric nurse. we got our own place to live after that. But my granny was still the main focus of my life.

I guess the earliest of my experiences was when i started school at the age of 4, it was just name calling, excluding me from games, victimizing. That sorta stuff. it hurt me then.. but you just get used to it. My granny would always say that i should just ignore them because they were beneath me.. but they made me feel like i was lower than dirt.
This carried on all the way through primary... but it kicked off to another level in secondary school (7th grade for the Americans among you).

My mum went through several boyfriends till finally settling on one man in particular who will not be named. I was 6/7. she was with him for nearly 4 years. he had two daughters who were a year younger than i was. he was verbally abusive to my mother, but physically abusive to me. he never hit my mum as far as i knew - he took his frustration out on me. he didnt beat the living shit out of me.. but he would victimise me and torment me just as much as the bullies at school. Homelife had always been my sanctuary - a safe haven from the hell that was school.. but now it was just as bad. I'd stay in my room playing on my playstation or reading book after book all day. Locked away from the outside world.. until it invaded my room.

Anyway.. after 4 years that ended. she's now with a nice husband and has had two children with him. I have a nice home life. When i started secondary school, i started it with a posetive homelife. I thought it would be a new start, a welcome change from the bullying i had received in primary school. i thought i would be fine.

But the bullying didn't stop. it just got worse.

People used to take the piss out of me for.. i guess a few different reasons. 1 - my stutter. I have something of a stutter, particularly when i'm nervous. 2 - i used to wear glasses. I wear contacts now.. but i have an aversion to wearing glasses. 3 - my taste in music. I would openly stand up for my taste in rock + alternative, even when everyone else was into rap. 4 - because i did gymnastics when i was younger. The latter never really bothered me.. i didnt care what people said about that. So yeah.. those 4 crimes are the causes of my bullying.

It went from verbal teasing to physical abuse and psychological torment, and it's gotten worse as i've got older. I was always made to feel like shit, like i was nothing. I'd get locked in girls toilets, pants pulled down infront of people, my bag stolen, thrown around the class, my shoes taken, my phone stolen, my ipod stolen, my books ripped up. one particular moment was when my favorite book (1984 by george orwell) that i had taken to school got taken out of my bag and torn up in front of my eyes. I never brought books to school again after that. yeah i know that kind of stuff is petty, but when it's happening all the time it kind of gets to you.

And no, it wasnt the hard people who bullied me - it was the clever shits the people who called themselves my "friends", the "popular crowd" the people who you know are going to go far in life. You Americans may refer to them as "jocks", although i don't like categorising anyone - they're just dickheads to me. So yeah, the cool, funny, sporty gobshites who think they are wonderful, the people who need to feel a moral boost by making someone else's life a shit hole. i always understood why they did it... but i could never work out why it was me? I'd frequently get called "gay" which is a common insult in the North of England for anyone who deviated from the social norm.
Whenever i'd point out that my "friends" were treating me like shit and making me miserable i'd always get "omg you can't take a joke you take everything so seriously". Well maybe so.. but i dont find being kicked in the nuts and having my stuff taken and being humiliated in front of other people funny. And im sure they wouldnt either.

I always found it hard to tell my parents anything.. and i refused to let them do anything because i knew it would only make things worse. I just used my strong will to shrug things off and not give in. From when i was about 12 i was determined to go to University, study psychology and become a psychologist. that was my dream, and it still is.

I'd always been a pretty straight A student, but in the 9th year my grades slipped and i performed poorly. I managed to bring it back around in time for my GCSEs and i did well - A's and B's mostly. But i know i could have done better if i hadnt been bullied so extensively.

My stepdad promised me it would be different in sixth form (like high school. You study A levels before you go to university). Everyone will grow up in sixth form, it will be better, people will like you for who you are. But he was wrong. It was still ****ing torture. It still is infact - even now it's shit. These days i cant wear the right clothes, i never look perfect, i still stutter my words (although it has improved somewhat), i still have an aversion to social activities and i find it difficult to speak to people.

I was able to hold on to everything until march this year, when my Granny died. I can honestly say i would have been less upset if it had been my mother, because my granny was actually like a mother to me. It left a huge wound inside me that will probably never heal. She had always been the most important person in my life, and i felt like she had been stolen from me when i needed her the most. I've just finished my AS (first year) exams. I've done okay (i hope) but i know if i hadnt been so distracted by granny's death and struggling to support my mother. She has been death 2 months today - 19th of may. And it took till just recently for me to let my feelings out. I had to put on a brave face for my mother who was struggling to cope herself.

I'd find it so hard to focus in class and of course the bullying i get on a day to day basis just made things worse. i'd sometimes just run out of lessons to cry in the toilets because i would just feel so shit. Even now i struggle to motivate myself to go to school because every day its the same.

But life's not always easy is it?

I've coped with sadness and bullying all my life - i hope it will stop when i go to Uni. I'm on my way to achieve my dream, im studying psychology at A level and i'm doing better than most of the people in my class. I've got one or two friends who i can rely on and i've still got my mother. Even if the whole world turns its back on me i still have my mum.

To anyone who sat and read the whole thing, thank you. :)

Fairy001

Firstly, I am sorry you lost your beloved Granny, be kind to yourself. Grief is a long process and it is still early days. Hang on to the good memories, she will always be in your heart.

Secondly, you state the reasons the bullies attack you, taste in music, glasses etc. I think it has nothing to do with these things, I think they are jealous of you. You say yourself you are doing well at school, on your way to realising your dreams, are they?

Have you ever told them to, "Go f**k themselves"? I know it wouldn't be that easy, but have some faith in you. This time in your life will soon pass, you are succeeding even with all this pressure, you can get through this and be happy. I am sure at uni this will stop, and I imagine you will meet some like minded people.

Thank you for sharing your story, I think you are very brave.

Peace

University is much better than school. Don't get stuck in your room and everything is going to be alright. At school i was bulied too, but at university everything ended. I met some bullies after the school and we were talking quite friendly. None of those bullies achieved anything. Working(if working) some shity work and thats it.
You have your dream and go for it!

danstelter

Unfortunately, you have been the victim of a shitty experience so far, and even though you say you didn't have it that bad, you have had it pretty bad so far. Give yourself credit for persevering and not taking a way out like suicide or something like that.

High school is where childish bullshit continues pretty much until you are done with it. You are kind of stuck with the people you are stuck with, terrible as they are. But, I will echo the comments that university life is much different. You can choose your friends when you are at university. You do what you want and you are an adult. You make your own decisions.

If you are regularly a straight A student without all the other crap in life stressing you out, you will find much success at the university, or another institution of higher learning.

I commend you on your courage of taking the risk and telling your story when everything in your life so far has told you that you can trust no one except your grandmother. I will let you know that other people like her do exist, and not all people are out to harass you like the ones in school. But, they seem to be the exception rather than the rule.

I would recommend, if you are able sometime in the near future, that you see a counselor (I sought counseling twice and found it VERY BENEFICIAL). Make sure that the title is "counselor" and not "psychologist, therapist, or psychiatrist." Counselors understand the world from a broad perspective and the first thing they will do is praise you for coming in and seeking help. A counselor will help you to come to terms with these experiences and to move on in life. I hope you end up doing well and I think that you will if you seek out help. Good luck and please feel welcome to ask more questions or talk to people more if you need it! That's what we are here for!

Glumlock

Two things,
Firstly, thank you very very much for the responses, it must have taken you a while to wade through that huge wall of text :)
Secondly, to Fairy001, yeah i've been told the whole "they're jealous of you" kinda thing. But i've never really stuck by it. I don't really consider myself anything at all to be envied of :p Even on the surface i must look pretty ordinary to everyone else. You may be right, but i don't see how anyone would be jealous of me. Maybe thats just because i know what it's like to be me and they don't. meh.

To Danstelter, thankyou very much for the advice and the wonderful comment, it really did put a smile on my face :) I know that i am stronger willed than alot of people i know. I have "aquaintences" who cut themselves and self harm ect over stuff which i'd consider fairly mild - getting dumped or friends saying shit about them behind their backs. When i think of them i think i'm doing alright. But tbh i dont see what self harm could do to improve anyone's situation.. it just creates unnecessary pain. And i'd never take a way out, especially not now - i'd cause pain to those who love me and ofc i'd let down the one person i care about the most - my granny. Im not religious, i was christened a catholic but i dont really believe, but wherever she is, now isnt the time for me to be reuinited with her - i've got to do what she would want for me - to do the best that i can do and never let my mother down. Those were her last words to me (or something like that anyway, she was mumbling incoherently due to the excessive morphine she was on but hey) and i intend to carry them out.

I am hopeful that my life will improve, im sure it will. I'll probably meet likeminded people at Uni, or at least people who wont try to torment me for no apparent reason.

again thank you so much for the comments, i really appreciate it :)

Fairy001

Despite the torment and bullying you have goals, dreams and self belief. That is more than enough to make some insecure loud mouthed bully envious of you.

I wish you all the good things you so deserve in life.

Peace

Glumlock

Thank you :)
i understand where you're coming from now - even if i dont achieve exactly what i set out to do, at least i have goals and a little bit of self belief.
Peace to you my friend :)

Hi, I know a little bit about feeling hated or bullied. I know that it makes you feel powerless and angry, sad, and mayby frustaited. You have a right to be out in public and you have a right to enjoy yourself out in public and you have to tell yourself this when you feel unsure. From Joanne

danstelter

I don't think that people who bully are jealous, but sometimes they certainly are. I think that really what is happening is that they are very miserable in their home lives and that they want to make sure that everyone else is as miserable as them or worse. "Misery loves company" is a saying that rings true, and I think that the same holds true for optimism. People who are well-adjusted like to be around happy and confident people. So, hopefully you can just get past this crappy chapter of life and move on. Good luck and I'm glad to be of help! :)