Bullying and young people

Who is to blame for bullying and crime in young people?

• The Government

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Media

• Parents

• Schools

• Total voters
I'm a Uni student doing a project on Bullying and Crime and young people. As a child I was bullied and at 21 still suffer from some of the comments made and because of this I want things to change.
I really want your help on how to tackle the problem. Please can you fill out the questionnaire below or post any comments about the long term affects of bullying.

All the best
Becky

Youth= Intent vs Perception

The data collected in this questionnaire is for research purposes only. All questions answered will remain 100% anonymous.

Sex:

1. How do you think young people are perceived in the UK?
(Positively, negatively…)

2. What factors contribute to this assumption?
(Peers, school, the public…)

3. Is this an accurate assumption?

4. Do you think schools educate enough about bullying and youth crime?

5. Do you think the distribution of ASBOs is an active step forward in the prevention in youth crime?

5a. If NO, How do you believe youth crime can be tackled?

6. Who do you think is responsible for youth crime?
(Parents, the Government, Schools…)

7. How do you believe bullying can be tackled?

8. Have you or anyone you known been bullied?

8a. If YES, What was the scale of the bullying? (long term, short term…)

8b. If YES, Was it dealt with efficiently and by whom?

9. If you had a problem regarding youth crime or bullying what method would you use for help? (Call a helpline, talk to a parent/friend, read advice in magazines etc…)

10. Any other comments...

kyle

Banned
littlerocknrollque said:
I'm a Uni student doing a project on Bullying and Crime and young people. As a child I was bullied and at 21 still suffer from some of the comments made and because of this I want things to change.
I really want your help on how to tackle the problem. Please can you fill out the questionnaire below or post any comments about the long term affects of bullying.

All the best
Becky

The data collected in this questionnaire is for research purposes only. All questions answered will remain 100% anonymous.

Sex: male

NO. They never even attempted to do this when I was in school. I was bullied because my worst fear was drawing attention to myself, and so I let bullies pick on me until I was 16, when I got really big and beat one of them up.

(Parents, the Government, Schools…)

None of the above. It's mostly human nature, although schools should be more sensitive to shy people's needs.

Education, and create an environment where people will stand up to the bully.

Yes. I knew many people who were bullied in school including myself. I know people in the workforce who are bullied, but it's less common and more subtle.

?

Was not dealt with effiectively at all. I ended up having to resort to violence, and in my case, it worked.

9. If you had a problem regarding youth crime or bullying what method would you use for help? (Call a helpline, talk to a parent/friend, read advice in magazines etc…)

talk with someone you trust...

joeljjison

Sex: male

1. How do you think young people are perceived in the UK?
negatively. if we wear a hoodie, we're criminals. if we go the pub, we're hooligans (regardless of if we have half a pint, and older people in the same place get outrageously drunk). if we wait for a friend somewhere, we're trying to mug people. if we meet up in a group, we're up to no good...

2. What factors contribute to this assumption?
well, id say its the public that makes the assumption, maybe i have a bias against the public having grown up in a middle class background. perhaps its
a result of media focus on these issues.

3. Is this an accurate assumption?
not especially

i can't rightly say, having been out of secondary school for 3 years now. when i was in my primary and secondary school, i would say no...

5. Do you think the distribution of ASBOs is an active step forward in the prevention in youth crime?

in a sense. but the problem is in how you define youth crime. i've heard that the terms for recieving an asbo are pretty vague.. ie what exactly is antisocial

5a. If NO, How do you believe youth crime can be tackled?
well, i dont think it should be given special treatment as youth crime. i think the asbo could be effective if the clauses for it were more detailed

It depends where it is, and who it effects, and what you mean by responsible.
I'd blame the parents, i don't think its their right to dish out the punishment and the exclusion of other parties, nor i do think that of the school. Things vary too much if theres so much room for individual treatment.. so government

Setting up meets for the once bullied, and currently bullied.. i think that
would be more effective than one on one systems... more common ground, and a chance to meet people outside of the institution your being bullied in.

yes to both counts

long term

no, it wasnt dealt with efficiently

had i had the option, and if i was bullied now, i'd talk to a friend

10. Any other comments...
i dont think bullying can be prevented.. not verbal bullying anyway. i think a more realistic goal is to prevent its long term effects.. to prevent people from carrying on friendless and believing the things they hear