Breathing Technoqies that work

chantaspell

Hi, I heard about a breathing method called the Buteyko technique which asthmatics use to deal with hyperventilation. Apparently if you learn this breathing technique panic attacks become rarer or even dissappear, and anxiety drops away. Theres some info on this anxiety site.

Its one of those ones that sound a bit too good to be true, but i wanted to know if anyone had tried it.

Cheers

Tom

partyrings

im not sure bout that breathing tecnique but i use a couple that i was taught by my hypnotherapist and they wrk gr8 for me...so for me i would say the breathing iv learnt has helped me in a way!!!
xxxx :wink:

Septor

I never heard of this Buteyko technique but I have use breathing technique for my panic attacks before.Interesting stuff though.

Mary

I came across this info. on the net: how to breathe properly.
"Breathe through your nose & imagine your incoming breath filling a balloon in your belly then continues up the torso and fills your upper body w/air. Then exhale and let go and feel the balloon emptying."
I also read that when we were newborn baby's we all would breathe that way normally..from our stomachs and that we "learned" how to breathe "wrong" from our chest later on..but that really we were meant to be breathing fr. our stomachs all along.. 8O So now we are all getting a lot less of the oxygen we really need to be healthy and yes, calm!
I need to start practicing my breathing.. :wink:

garnet

I too have heard of the Buteyko technique from a friend, but she says that when you are first getting used to it, it can actually induce feelings of panic!

Naturally i'm a bit wimpish about using that one once I heard that! 8O

:idea: But I use a breathing technique which combines breathing and meditation. You take a slow steady breath inwards and then repeatedly say 'Relax,relax,relax...' until you have breathed out fully. You do this with your eyes closed, and the idea is that if you practice it daily, when you next encounter a stressful situation, you just have to close your eyes and the thoughts of calm and relaxation will take over.

I'm a bit sceptical about it but I'm so determined to overcome my SP that I'm willing to try anything! :D

savage_beagle

breathe deeply-exhale thru mouth.

Hi. We have been conditioned to do everything quickly--from thinking fast on your feet to talking, walking, shoveling food down your throat, driving faster, etc....that we breathe quickly. If you think about it, we breathe quickly becuz its a way we our protecting ourselves from fear....fear of attack, to be always on high alert and ready to run like the wind. When we feel safe and secure, our breathing becomes deep and peaceful, such as when we are about to fall asleep. I started reading about meditation techniques and even bought a few ''hypnotic/subliminal'' cd's...and every single one of them starts out with telling you to start with proper breathing. A deep breath thru your nostrils--hold for 5 seconds--release your breath thru your open lips . Your chest should expand and your abdomand should come inwards. What happens is as you are holding your breath and exhaling with the 5 second rule, is that your mind focuses on your breathing...your nostrils, your lungs filling up...the sound of yourself breathing in and out---and you clear your mind cuz you can only think one thought at a time (the focusing on the breathing part).

bluenow

A long time ago ICanDoIt posted some things about breathing and muscle relaxation. They really work. I can't tell you exactly like he did but, notice how tight your muscles get when you are anxious. Then start relaxing different groups starting at your neck and shoulders. :)