Boredom

JWH

Righto. Can we please post suggestions for alleviating boredom here? Be it books, TV, movies or internet. Also, please leave your IM contacts here for anyone that's interested.

Not many suggestions here though. I'm bored silly.

-Jp

learn something, i learned 3d animation. because i sit on my ass all day i figured i might as well do something usefull :p. not realy...it's a hobby i do but seriousy learning something that interests you and realy focusing on it is a great timekiller

JWH

Haha, my teachers complained about my daydreaming from the start. It probably says a lot about why I'm bored actually.

How did you go about learning it Jp? Books, tutorials or yourself? I was considering learning it in a college next year, but if you have any pointers I would be grateful. I have plenty of interests, but I'm just never motivated enough to start or complete things. I usually leave the learning to assignments and the dreams just never happen.

-Jp

It depends on the soft you want to learn, for maya you can buy or download lots of good training videos for free ;))
otherwise tutorials and there are real free videos over at 3dbuzz.com

send me a pm if you're interested in more info

i went to a 1 month course in america but most of it i learned from experience and i learned alot from training videos too

-Jp

hey, now were talking about movies, have ya seen kill me later? this is one of my favorite "feel better" movies. a realy cool story about a depressed girl with action and romance.

Hope

Take some part-time courses at your local college/university. Just about anything from software (spreadsheets, programming) to wine-tasting is available.

I hardly ever run out of things to do, but get frustrated by a dearth of people to do things with, so courses solve several problems - and there's plenty of homework.

JWH

Well my to do list now reads:

1. Overcome fear of walking dog during day
2. Try ceramics again
3. Learn more 3D
4. Watch 'Kill me Later'
5. Get a job

Well I can just guess at how quickly these are going to get done.

Yossarian

My to do:

1: Buy clothes its been over a year. Esp socks - only one pair without holes :lol:

2: Start programming again

3: Find some volountary work

4: Tidy and clean flat

5: Make appointment with Doc

6: Stop procrastinating :)

Yossarian

shush worrydoll :)

7: Take stuff back to the library before I bankrupt myself with fines.

I like the twist this thread has taken.

JWH

Haha! I need to know... What's the biggest library fine here? I had to pay $90 once.

Yossarian

$90 !! Blimey, you gotta tell more. I had about a £20 fines on some CD's once but the guy in the music library let me off cos we kinda get on :D

In the Book of Heroic Failures (which is fantastic) it says in 1823 a guy took out a book which was returned by his great-grandson in 1968. It says the fine was estimated at $2,646, don't know how much that is now.

"Our business in life is not to succeed, but to continue to fail in good spirits."
Robert Louis Stevenson.

JWH

Oh, the uni library just likes to be expensive.

eg. "standard overdue item - $1.00/day (maximum of $60/item)"

LilMissTragic

My boredom alleviators:

Writing Horror stories
Photography
Walking my dogs and ferrets
Annoying my brother
Having competitions with my fiance, anything from thrashing him on the PS2 to seeing who can put the most popcorn into our mouths.
Doing free online courses.
Drawing
Writing poetry
Sword fighting (not fencing)
Prancing about to loud music
Doing the vacuuming (pah!)
Going to www.bored.com
Going to charity sites, a lot have things you can click on and for every click, a company sends the charity money.
Cooking buns (yummy) then eating them hot out of the oven before anyone else can grab one..lol.
Dressing up and taking silly photos
ohhh so much so much....I best leave it before i run outta room...