body conscious

Anonymous

one of the worst things about sa i find is the constant feeling that i am not good enough. its so shallow but i dont go out unless i have an outfit that that looks goood which often takes ages to find and always when im walking around im just thinking argh im ugly. i wish i felt beautiful even i really i looked like a monster but whatever i ireally look like to others, i feel not good enough compared to everyone. i feel fat though i am under average weight, i feel just so unattractive and if i like someonei think oh i'm not good enoug for him or i'm not pretty enough. i hate it so so so much and it stops me going out a lot. sa makes me so materialistic and shallow tho only towards my self
what can i do

Anonymous

listen hun, not every man is looking for that "perfect" looking babe - perfection is boring, imperfection is sexy, interesting and desirable

Fredscars

hunny, i get guys whistling at me in the street sometimes, and i do exactly the same thing, i load myself with black eyeliner, wear clothes that do their best to make me look thin, bigger chested and curvy yet i still wish to hide because i feel that i am disgusting to look at..

Anonymous

Truly, for most guys, it is enough that a potential SO has a pair of boobs, no matter how big or small. Girls can NOT understand how undiscriminating guys are, because they are so discriminating themselves. I have never had insecurities about my physical appearance -- I guess that's one of the advantages of being a male.

Crimefish

Whenever I go out with my friends, it seems like they're wearing stuff that goes together, and I'm wearing something completely different... like they called each other to organise matching outfits.
The only time I actually felt like I looked okay was when a guy walked into a lamp post because he was looking at me. I thought it only happened in the movies.

Edit: Oh yeah. I'm also losing a lot of weight due to crohn's disease and incredibly fast metabolism. In the past hour I've eaten a bown of popcorn, an entire cake, two glasses of Dr Pepper, and an apple. This is how I eat all the time, and people still tell me I'm "hideously" thin. Howcome that's okay, but you're not allowed to tell fat people they're hideously fat? (Not that I'd do either thing. I would never tell anyone they were hideously anything.) In conclusion, I feel hideously thin, because I basically am.

Anonymous

Hey It's not only gals that have this problem.I'm a guy and I always feel that I'm not good looking enough,fit enough,etc.. and that all girls only go for fit guys.I guess this is true to a point,as we always make our first impresions of someone on looks,rather than getting to know the person.I find this all the time,that the most beatiful girls are really shallow and materialistic,in fact I only know one or two that you could actually say she is beautiful in both looks and personality.But no matter how many times you are reminded of this,you always look to the looker first,even though you know deep down that they are problably shallow and materialistic.

I also think that SA is to blame for our hating the way we look,as it knocks our self confidence and self esteem.I think as you get a bit older,then people actually tend to look inside rather than only looking skin deep. :)

blank

I hate too see other people downing their looks - especially females.
Do you know how many of us guys would give our lives just to share it with people like you ?

( Perhaps I was born ugly so that I could relate more to people that think of themselves in this way.)

You are beautiful.

Fredscars

it amuses me the way you say you hate to hear people putting their image down, then call yourself ugly.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder

blank

Fredscarecrow said:
it amuses me the way you say you hate to hear people putting their image down, then call yourself ugly.

Sorry . I see your point .
Actually I'm not calling myself ugly - I was just stating a fact.
I know I'm ugly and there is nothing I can do about it.
I have faced the fact.
8)

Fredscars

blank said:
Fredscarecrow said:

Sorry . I see your point .
Actually I'm not calling myself ugly - I was just stating a fact.
I know I'm ugly and there is nothing I can do about it.
I have faced the fact.
8)
and i have accepted the fact that i do not like the way i look, yet everyone tells me otherwise.
i doubt you are ugly

blank

[quote and i have accepted the fact that i do not like the way i look, yet everyone tells me otherwise.
i doubt you are ugly[/quote]

Since you seem to answer these posts quite frequently, I was wondering if you could clue me in as to how this posting thing works.
I must have found the 'create new post' button a couple of days ago because I sucessfully created one ( yet it has disappeared from the home page.)
Where has it gone ?
Thanks

Anonymous

hehe, if you enter any of the forums the 'creat new topic' SHOULD be on the top left hand side. i cant promise you it will be there because computers (im my experience) have a tendency to hide things and movethem around just to make our lives difficult. i think they take it as some kind of game. :lol: At least it is just slightly less anoying than my old computer which would happily turn off and on at the most annoying times. :roll:
but yeh, thats where it should be :D good luck in posting duuuuuuuude :D

Anonymous

About 90% of the time I find beautiful girls are shallow. Everytime I've approached a girl I like, they are really bitchy and uncaring. When I learn their personality, I realise that I'm glad she didn't like me anyway. I find, that aswell as being shallow, they can be damn right rude, in my experience and actually very 'common' aswell. Here's an example of the sort of conversation:

GIRL: Yeah i'm going out to night, I'm getting hammered again. Guys in that place a real nice going, don't get none of those quiet, sensitive weirdo ones.

ME: How often do you go out?

GIRL: Whenever I can. I down me, whatever's there. Oh yah, that reminds me, (begins to face other way and call her friend) *insert friend name here* you getting the cock tonight? Make sure he aint small, eh?

By the end of that conversation I left.

I don't mean to be stereotypical, as not all girls are like this. This to me, is what I have encountered, which just pisses me off.

Sorry if I offended anyone.

Anonymous

btw ty for all ur advice. its not that i am extremely ugly -people have toold me the opossite, its just that i dont believe it. i would rather be ugly and feel beautiful and confident than be the prettisett person in theworld and terrified of life. sa sucks big time. ty my lovelies for ur cheery advice

Anonymous

I think what youre describing is "body dysmorphic disorder"....... which is basically an unhealthy obsession w/ a percieved defect or flaw......... can be anything really, real or imagined, usually something insignificant to the rest of the world, but causes us much grief non the less.......... by the way it is commonly a CAUSE for social anxiety and should be looked at as the key to figuring out why you are the way you are...........

ColdAsIce

In my experience most people who are good looking and know they are are definity the most shallow of them all. I remember when I was at school and there was always the popular boys and the popular girls but they weren't nice people and even though I was the out cast, shy girl, sat in the corner I always took comfort in the fact that I knew I was a nice person. I can also relate to hating my looks and not leaving the house until I think I look at least half decent.

Looks are only skin deep that is very true but as long as you know your a good person thats all that matters, geniune people see that in you, don't worry about shallow people. :oops:

Moonie

I am the same way about my looks. I don't spend ultra amount of time getting ready to go out, now that I have a boyfriend, but I do scrutinize myself a bit. I have a theory of why quiet/shy people might particularly obsess about their looks. As a shy person, people often don't get to know you right away and some just are not patient enough to want to try to. One way for people to notice you initially is by your looks, so shy people may turn towards their looks because they may have more control over it than they do with their personality. I know that the true me certainly cannot come out right away- It takes awhile. I am still not completely myself with my boyfriend -it has been 5 months- but I am fortunate that he is still with me and is willing to allow me to take my time. so for me, paying attention to dress/looks is my only way to feel noticed, that sounds shallow and is, but it's the only way I know. I am not shallow person towards others, it's jut me that I beat up on.

Moonie said:
I am the same way about my looks. I don't spend ultra amount of time getting ready to go out, now that I have a boyfriend, but I do scrutinize myself a bit. I have a theory of why quiet/shy people might particularly obsess about their looks. As a shy person, people often don't get to know you right away and some just are not patient enough to want to try to. One way for people to notice you initially is by your looks, so shy people may turn towards their looks because they may have more control over it than they do with their personality. I know that the true me certainly cannot come out right away- It takes awhile. I am still not completely myself with my boyfriend -it has been 5 months- but I am fortunate that he is still with me and is willing to allow me to take my time. so for me, paying attention to dress/looks is my only way to feel noticed, that sounds shallow and is, but it's the only way I know. I am not shallow person towards others, it's jut me that I beat up on.

This is a very intelligent theory and it probably has a lot of truth. (from an evolutionist's point of view, it's genious)

Anonymous said:
one of the worst things about sa i find is the constant feeling that i am not good enough. its so shallow but i dont go out unless i have an outfit that that looks goood which often takes ages to find and always when im walking around im just thinking argh im ugly. i wish i felt beautiful even i really i looked like a monster but whatever i ireally look like to others, i feel not good enough compared to everyone. i feel fat though i am under average weight, i feel just so unattractive and if i like someonei think oh i'm not good enoug for him or i'm not pretty enough. i hate it so so so much and it stops me going out a lot. sa makes me so materialistic and shallow tho only towards my self
what can i do

As a previous poster mentioned, this is almost surely a case of Body Dismorphic Disorder, a type of Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. I actually have two instances of this disorder. The first is like yours, concerning my physical appearance. This was never serious until the onset of bad acne during high school years. That has mostly ceased thanks to accutane, but that feeling of inferiority, self-disgust, self-consciousness has left a permanent stigma.

People with body dismorphic disorder over their appearance are likely to look in every mirror they pass. Does this sound like your behavior?

I used to do this when my skin was bad, even though I knew it was going to be a painful experience, just because I was so concerned about how others saw me. I still find myself always doing it, and I do it so often I that I have a blurry self-image of myself. It becomes an automatic process that you don't get much out of.

Starting college, after being on accutane awhile, I still thought I looked bad and didn't realize how hard I was being on myself. When this beautiful female acquaintance asked me to be her date for her dorm's dance, I was totally taken aback. I hadn't had interaction with girls during high school (all male HS, thank God, I was so messed up during some of those years). Time of my life during the dance (OK I was drunk I admit it, I coudn't have enjoyed myself otherwise, and it was totally worth it). Needless to say, I subsequently blew the relationship thanks to physical manifestations of my social phobia.

My second instance of body dismorphic disorder is more obscure. I experience a globus hystericus (lump in throat) sensation during social pressure which began around junior high school years and has gotton progressively worse. For a year or two, I tried to combat the sensation by hyperconscious breathing, swallowing, relaxation techniques. However, the best thing I could have done would probably be to take some medication that would get my mind off of it. The hyperconsciousness with that area of my body has resulted in a body dismorphic disorder I have with my throat. Now, whenever I am around people or am in anticipation of a social situation, my throat clenches up painfully and enters the forefront of my attention. This sensation is really defeating, and prevents normal social interaction (it modulates my voice, hinders me from eating and swallowing in front of people, prevents me from relaxing and concentrating, etc :( ).

When my counselor told me about body dismorphic disorder and that he thought I had one with relation to my throat, he also told me that another very common body dismorphic disorder arises with guys concerned about their penis (size).