Blowing up when feeling attacked - am I alone?

Trisnic

I had a situation happen to me on Friday night which I cannot get out of my mind. I have probably spent 50 hours thinking about this.

As I don't like conflict and don't like to get in trouble I have been an extremely careful driver, both doing my best to follow all of the traffic rules and being a defensive driver instead of an aggressive one.

On Friday night I stopped at a stop sign for three seconds, looked both ways and then turned right. A police officer then pulled both me and the person who was behind me for "failing to stop". He could not actually see my car from where he was positioned or see what I did.

I did not understand why I was pulled over and really still don't. I feel vulnerable and unable to protect myself from this happening again, which is part of the problem.

He came up to my window and asked why I didn't stop. I told him that I did stop. He asked again and I said the same thing. He was extremely arrogant this whole time. He then asked for my license and registration which I gave him. At this point I was shaking because I hate being told I did something I didn't do. I started getting mad.

He came back and gave me a ticket for $167.00. I had never been pulled over before and even given a warning so I was a bit surprised. I asked how to contest it because I felt it was wrong. He said that the instructions were on the back of the ticket. He then asked me to sign the ticket. I asked what would happen if I didn't because I didn't agree with it. He ripped the ticket off and shoved it in my hands aggressively without explaining anything or attempting to calm me down. I asked for his name and he refused to give it to me stating that it was on the ticket (it wasn't there was only some unreadable signature).

At this point I was pretty upset and asked why they go after innocent, helpless people instead of the people who weave around and cause accidents and endanger lives. The cop threatened me with more traffic tickets. I was so angry that I screamed "YES I KNOW YOU'LL JUST GIVE ME ANOTHER TICKET" and he said "Bye bye" in the most condescending, arrogant tone I have heard. Actually I have heard that tone before back 10 years ago when I was bullied in school.

I then screamed a swear word at him while I rolled up my window.

Normally I can contain myself. I can't even get a sentence out to people at my workplace for the most part but when I am pushed and feel wrong I completely lose it. I know that I shouldn't have acted like that to a police officer but I had an adrenaline rush and couldn't control myself.

I still feel very betrayed. I always considered the police to be "above" the average person and that man acted just like the bullies I dealt with for years in school. I am at the point in my life where I will not let bullies just walk all over me and it doesn't seem to matter who they are.

I am now scared to drive anywhere and to be targeted again as I have always been so careful.

I was wondering if anyone else is like this or if I am alone in this regard.

r0ck0ut04

Dont feel so bad the cops do that all the time by me, and I mean all the time. They pull people over left and right for nothing. There probably trying to fill up there quota.

lonely_world

I think if they get more people "in trouble", they get more credit from their superiors. So it's not that they want to pick on you, they just want to look better to the other officers.

loserinamailbox

Nah. When I feel like someone I know is doing something to hurt me, even if I have absolutely no evidence, just my paranoia, I will completely blow up at them, yell, send nasty messages, accuse them of all sorts of things. I regret it afterwards, but I can't help it. The only thing I can do is avoid these situations the best i can.

spikefan777

What a poophead. You didn't overreact. As shy as I am, I wouldn't have taken that. Actually I would have, lol, I feel ashamed. :( But I'd be hella pissed.
I've been pulled over once because one of my head lights was out. The police officer was nice though. I had just gotten my permit that day and was driving my mom's car, so he didn't even give me a fix it ticket.
I remember in like 8th grade my friends told me that our teacher had given me permission to go with them and not attend class. So I did and our teacher showed up, surprised to see me, and started treating me like I was a piece of crap. "WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?!!!?" "I DIDN'T AUTHORIZE THIS!!!!!!" I was so scared, I started crying and ran back to class... I swear she hated me. 8O
I expected as much from her as you did the police officer. People dissapoint me. :(

Pinkylegs

I am sorry but your thread was too long to read but I am sure you did the right thing. If not do the opposite.