Bleuch...

xjambix

I've been diagnosed with agoraphobia and the more I read up about it, the worse it makes me feel about it.

I've realised now that it's not really something that you can cure, but something you learn to cope with. This thought really gets me down, I can't imagine living the rest of my life like this.

I'm waiting on an appointment to see a psychologist, which should be in August. But I'm going back to uni in September and before these summer holidays, I'd stopped going to uni completely and am just so worried about going back.

I don't know what to do, I feel helpless. I've not been out with my friends for ages, I haven't been out with my boyfriend for months and months. It's obviously affecting us a lot and although he's supportive, it's very frustrating for him.

Any words of support?

- xjambix

sabbath9

Banned
hi xjambix, welcome to spw! :)

being trapped by our own minds sux, but we can overcome this false imprisonment and live a full life, hang in there

overcome.

i also got diagnosed with agoraphobia very recently, and am now on medication. after almost two weeks of medication, i know i have to go back to work in a weeks time, and im not looking forward to it one bit. i've just finished college so i won't be going into higher education come september, but i wouldnt be looking forward to that either.

im in the same boat as you, reading into it more and speaking to some people about it (two family members have suffered badly from it), i really dont know what to do next. i do my best to remain positive and optimistic about the future, but it does get overwhelming sometimes.

Satine

Ah, don't let the idea that agoraphobia isn't curable worry you too much. Think of it like weight training. A 10kg weight never gets any lighter, but if you weight-train enough, you can pick it up and the weight is bearable. To all intents and purposes, it feels lighter.

It's kind of like that. And, as with weight-training, you have to keep up the training to keep the weight appearing light. But it's doable. And, in some ways, it's exhilerating.

rado31

you fell out of life because you simply dont like it outside...
stay tuned and maybe something will happen... maybe youll say to yourself : "Do i really hate myself so much that i come to phorums to ask mad people for some advice" .. or "Lets dont stick to this crappy tv program anymore and kick someones ass instead"

Satine

I think Rado's got a point. Ultimately, the problem is smaller than you might first think. The problem isn't so much, 'the whole big wide world is a very threatening place'. It's more: 'I don't like being outside'.

I think that thinking about agoraphobia or social anxiety in these terms can help beat it.