Birthdays!

D

deleteduser

Is it just me or does anyone else hate birthdays?
I dread it because of all the possibilities of getting embarassed, for example - receiving presents, i never know what to say and i always feel like a right tit!
does anyone else get this?

coolingsiren

Yes and no. Birthdays don't bother me so much because I feel comfortable with the people I'll be dealing with... but all the extra attention can make me feel a bit nervous. Generally I just try to remember that it's my day, and nothing is expected of me whatsoever. :)

black_mamba

I think a lot of expected of people on birthdays. We have to be social by the very nature of it being a celebration. *hurl*

One time I was feeling particularly depressed and decided to spend my birthday in bed. I was physically dragged out and made to open presents and blow some cruddy candles out whilst having my picture taken, practically in tears. And all because my pushy mother wanted to 'celebrate'. Celebrate what??

God damn, my birthdays are much more fun now (I decide what goes on), although if anyones around they tend to push me to be social because of it.

for example - receiving presents, i never know what to say and i always feel like a right tit!

Don't you just wish they'd give you the money instead? :wink:

tupac

i hate birthdays. i never got any presents ever and never really had a party with my friends or anything. when i was little my i had like a family party and i didnt like it. the whole idea of celebrating a birthday is bullshit. when it comes around i just think, great another crappy year coming up. its hard for me to be positive about it.

D

deleteduser

i do wish they'd just give me money instead, it saves all the awkwardness!
i was once standing in the kitchen on my birthday and all the family was round and i had asked my mum to NOT BUY A CAKE AND CANDLES and NOT SING HAPPY BIRTHDAY, and next minute all the lights went off and there i was with a big cake, all eyes on my horrified face!it was so humiliating! :oops:

black_mamba

Hehe the exact same thing happened to me every year of my life until I left home! Good luck to ya. :lol:

despise

i never really had a problem with birthdays...just the whole meeting up with family part. i did'nt mind it when it was just my brother, mum, dad and sister. but because last year was my "sweet" 16th, me and my friend had a combined party. i was panicing the entire night. i just could'nt sit down...and when i actually did sit down my sister pulled me up to dance... 8O :oops: hated it...and i freak out at the very thought of my birthday now. especially because my brother and sister were very popular and had all this girls and guys at their parties, they are probably expectant of me to do the same. *sigh* at least i have another 5 months to think of an excuse :roll:

maggie

i hate birthdays too...the phone calls, the cake (i don't even eat cake :evil: )...the presents...just like worrydoll said, people watching for my reaction to opening the gift...yikes....i hate that...one time a friend made a homemade birthday cake for me, brought it over, and i wouldn't eat a piece...she was like "i made it for you" and she was pissed off the rest of the night...you know what else scares me?...bridal showers where you have to sit up at table in front of everyone, and open presents, and "ooohhh..."aaahhh"... to everything...how do people do that? :roll:

Angie_05

I hate birthdays too. I really don't need presents, I can buy things for myself now that I'm an adult. And it's so awkward to have to thank people or to pretend I like the present when I dont.

Also, I hate other people's birthdays. Well, not everyone, just like people other than the ones I'm really close to. I feel so much pressure to find a present, or send them a card. What's the point? What exactly are we celebrating?

paul

I hate hate hate birthdays... I agree with you about the presents, I also don't like it how everyone (at least when you're my age) is like "OMG you're 12!! teen years coming!!" it's like ... o_o stfu please :)

Angie_05

paul said:
I hate hate hate birthdays... I agree with you about the presents, I also don't like it how everyone (at least when you're my age) is like "OMG you're 12!! teen years coming!!" it's like ... o_o stfu please :)

If you hate that....watch out when you turn 21! Everyone says" OMG where are you going to party?" Huh, party?

IceLad

I hate birthdays as well. For me, they're just a constant reminder that I've 'lost' another year to social phobia.

pitkreet

I deliberately never tell anyone the date of my birthday.

Now, they pass as just another day except for a phonecall from my parents and a few cards from immediate family. Just the way I like it.