Birthday party

Quinzio

In my workplace there is the habit to bring food when is your birthday.

I really can't do it. It makes me feel so stupid, so embarassed, so anxious that I will avoid it with all my energy.

How can I cope with it ?
Has anyone the same problem ?

Quinzio

I mean on my birthday.
Usually my co-workers bring some cake or small sandwiches and coke to drink.

The point is that some of my co-workers got angry because of my behviour and I dare not give any exaplanation.
I'm going mad as little things can ruin my life in my workplace.

Going back to my memories, I remember that during primary, every child was bringing food to celebrate his birthday. My mom didn't never give me the chance to celebrate my b/day, and I never brought food to school.

I must have felt very embarassed back in those days, but, hell, I'm in my 30s and that's still affecting my life ?

Anyway I never did anything special on my b/day. Mom was giving me a gift, but never a party, never friends invited at home. I've always had bad memories about my birthday as a day I'd like to cancel from the calendar.

SPECTACULAR

I've always had bad memories about my birthday as a day I'd like to cancel from the calendar
my dad was the same all his life. He wouldn't let us have parties on our birthdays me or my brothers. A so small celebration could be arranged secretly by my mom but as a man I always felt the need to my dad. I always wanted him to like me.
anyway, one day after my cousin came back from united kingdom, he mentioned something about sending a happy-birthday note to someone he knows there. my dad was so supportive and told him that it would be a nice gesture and that happened right in front of our eyes. :evil:
From that moment, I decide to make my own rules and have my own principles. I'm a man enough to know what's right and what's wrong and as long as what i'm doing is not wrong or illegeal, I'll do it so openly.

That's what I think you should do. Relax and enjoy the party. It's only one time in the year. I hope everything goes good. :)

redlady

Hi Quinzio - I know how you feel, i do not like to be the center of attention under any circumstances. I always prefer just to be an anonymous face in the crowd and left to my own devices. How to cope with it? Goodness i don't think i have anything of value to say. What i do is just do what i have to do - endure it - opt for the lesser of two evils. What would end up causing you more grief - to endure the attention for the day or to avoid it and then get hassled by your colleagues in the future? I know it's not as easy as that - we are irrational creatures after all. But i can't think what else you could do - no matter what you do there is going to be a measure of unpleasantness to it. So all i can suggest is to choose what will end up causing you the least unpleasantness.