Beta Blockers?

WelshOne

I was prescribed Propanolol when I had to take my driving test a few years ago. They seemed to help. Mostly they just keep your adrenaline down, so you're less likely to panic.

I have taken them a few other times since, although I still have several tablets from that original prescription left in my drawer. I don't think there are any side affects, so you could try them a few times and see if they help you (under the advice of your doctor, of course.)

dark_horse

Thanks,

I also believe it's not habit forming. At he moment I'm using Zopax and feel quilty whenever I take a tablet. I hate the feeling of being dependant on drugs!

westminster

I've been on Propranolol for nearly ten years now, on an as-needed basis whever the symptoms of anxiety are likely to be prevalent.

I take 40mg, or in particularly anxiety-inducing situations 80mg, about an hour before a stressful event. This effectively blocks a racing heart and is somewhat effective at controlling blushing (at 40mg symptoms are reduced, though not elimated - yet at 80mg I find no symptoms of blushing when I would otherwise go beetroot!). The sensation is quite peculiar, as I have become senstive to my body trying to release adrenaline and still get that cold feeling, yet without the subsequent shaking and blushing I became so accustomed to.

As beta blockers only control physical symptoms, you'll need to consider ways of dampening psychological anxiety. I supplement Propranolol with 10mg Diazepam or 2mg Xanax, which works like a dream for parties, presentations, and business meetings. I've got through a doctoral viva, numerous important talks and taught for two years while dosed up on a Propranolol - Benzo combination, and would have been a gibbering wreck without it. However this is not a strategy to use every day. Benzos have been a life saver for me, but they are addictive and zone you out, and I've even had memory loss on them - so be disciplined and use common sense in using them. Alternatives ways to deal with the psychological aspect such as positive self-talk might work. I've also learned other cheeky strategies - such as using handouts when presenting. Everyone's so focused on reading rather than listening and looking at me that the psychological anxiety drops off!

Disadvantages of Propranolol? I have asthma and sometimes get mildly wheezy on it. Even without asthma, your heart will refuse to beat hard so if you try to run you'll end up puffing on the side of the road while your cardio system asks what the devil you're up to pulling it in two different directions. I've also found that my mood lowers if I take Propranolol regularly - something to watch if you're naturally a bit 'Morrissey'.

Finally, it's easy to get prescribed beta blockers in the UK. I simply walked into the doctor's office in my normal 'natural' state and sat there shaking and blushing. After I stuttered that I needed help for social anxiety he simply took my pulse and wrote the prescription without further questions!

Anyway best of luck and feel free to ask any further questions.

WelshOne

Thanks,

I also believe it's not habit forming. At he moment I'm using Zopax and feel quilty whenever I take a tablet. I hate the feeling of being dependant on drugs!

Yes, that's an advantage of beta blockers over valium - they're not addictive. :)

I dislike having to use drugs, too. I am trying to come off all my medications, but I still occasionally have to take a valium when I feel particularly worked up about something. I've come off Olanzapine recently, though, which I'm glad about (it's called an 'anti-psychotic'. I felt terrible for being prescribed that by my psychiatrist... =/)

Noca

Banned
I have naturally low blood pressure so Beta-blockers wouldn't help me. I like Benzos like Clonazepam and Diazepam instead.

Enialis227

My doctor gave me Propranolol, it worked very well, but it made me suicidally depressed. Probably not a typical problem though. He wanted me to try it before Xanax, because it isn't habit forming like Xanax is.

I was prescribed Inderal a while back now, and it was definetely worth it. I have a really bad hand shaking problem in anxious situations, and my SA was reduced signifigantly because it took away the fear of someone noticing my hands shaking uncontrollably.
I haven't had the courage to ask the new doctor for them, and miss them soooo much!
There not addictive, but I miss the benefits I described.
I think it would be worth you trying them.

dark_horse

Thank you for all the advise.

I wish there was a simple answer. Like one magic pill that will help us all. Without side effects and no addiction...

Enialis227

Thank you for all the advise.

I wish there was a simple answer. Like one magic pill that will help us all. Without side effects and no addiction...

Even a hardcore medicine advocate like me won't dare to wish that a pill like that would exist.
Damn, if only.

Placeway

I use klonopin when needed-plus my heart rate is always high so I had to get on another med called..not sure of the name right now..but-it worked-it helped-helped me with my heart and anxiety.

plus I take ALL THE B vitamins- COD LIVER OIL-FLAXSEED oil -VITAMINS VITAMINS.
plus, niacin is amazing for the nerves-

do your research-rebuild the nerves and brain-

then live-

hail hail mother gold