Being Socially Underrepresented and SP

oxygene

How do you think these two things relate to each other? Can being a member of a socially underrepresented or unprivileged group lead to social phobia? I`m from a muslim populated country and I`ve been studying in the States for 5 years now. Most people here will avoid me when they find out that I`m from a muslim country. I`m not even a muslim, but it still puts me off communicating with people so I spend more time alone. It`s degrading in a sense that it makes you feel less valuable and useless so you prefer isolating yourself from people. Have you experienced anything similar?

jenny1984

I have the same situation as yours! I came to the States ~9 years ago, and before that, I only had social anxiety but not social phobia...I am from an underprivileged group...and I reside in a pretty ghetto area...whenever people see them they do not treat me the same way as how they treat others! I think I am a pretty polite/nice person, and yet people hate me for seeing my color. My face even got injured by a bunch of ghetto people when they suddenly threw a big snowball at me out of nowhere..and laughed at my race. There are many uneducated people out there, and it is their loss to miss the chance to get to know what a wonderful person you are. You are not alone!! I am very sure somewhere along the line, you will find people who truly find you amazing and not judge you based on where you are from. Sorry for my poor English... Be Strong!!! ::eek::

oxygene

Thanks Jenny! I have to admit that I hadn`t had social phobia either before I came to the States. I have always been shy but not having a single friend for 5 years is another thing.

Your English is much better than mine by the way. :)

Last edited:

I_Walk_Alone

Hmmm, i suppose we were always moving about, so it was hard to keep making friends.

To all out extended family and friends we were known as the "Pirahna Family", cos we'd eat you out of house and home.

I'd probably feel bad if anyone was there in my mothers darkest hour. So **** em. :)