Being happy alone

BashfulBug

I read, play video games, watch tv and play with my dogs to help keep me sane. If I don't keep busy the loneliness gets unbearable, so I try to keep busy. I try to tell myself that I don't need friends, that I'm fine with my own company, but it hurts. I think the worst part of being alone is not actually being alone, but knowing that no one wants to be with you. I often ask myself, "what's wrong with me"? I'm a nice person, fairly intelligent, I have a sense of humor. Why can't people see that?

sevenroses

I really enjoy my own space and doing my own thing.
Stuff I do sometimes do on my own is:

Exercise
Watching a marathon of movies
Checking out guitartabs
Library
Surfing the net
Praying
Driving Around
Window Shopping at stores and malls

We all tend to be introverts but I guess we all need human contact to some degree. I guess there needs to be a balance.

Last edited:

Fear of people

I feel that if you can become happier alone then you won't value a social life as much. You should keep trying to improve yourself, but you should also read books, play video games, and whatever else.

Don't do things in spite of your SP, such as watch a movie where someone rebels against society. Try not to influence your anger.

Here is my list:
-Program my own personal software
-Play video games (Risk?)
-Read books I'm interested in
-Write stories maybe

Think about whether you are really able to entertain yourself, by yourself. This way you'll be able to see your personality flaws.

I'm married...have no friends though...my husband is my only friend...better then nothing I suppose. I have a dog who keeps me company while my husband is at work. I crave for human company sometimes...but it's just not there...when I need it most. How ever some days...people are just plain annoying to me...and rather be by my lonesome.

What do I really want...is the question...do I really crave for human companionship...or do I prefer to live in my own little world as a hermit...feeling as though I'm non existent to others on planet earth.:eek:

Ree_Ree

It's true that people should be happy with themselves, even love themselves, but apart from that if we have a desire to meet and interact with other people, I think we shouldn't ignore that desire all together unless of course we don't care much for the company of others.

It may not be easy, but it's a good idea to make a list of things to do to meet that need or desire. If your desire is to just be happy with and by yourself, then you have a great list for starters.

I'm married...have no friends though...my husband is my only friend...better then nothing I suppose. I have a dog who keeps me company while my husband is at work. I crave for human company sometimes...but it's just not there...when I need it most. How ever some days...people are just plain annoying to me...and rather be by my lonesome.

What do I really want...is the question...do I really crave for human companionship...or do I prefer to live in my own little world as a hermit...feeling as though I'm non existent to others on planet earth.:eek:

Most humans are fairly balanced in that we each have a need for different things, that are at times polar opposites. There's a time for being alone, introspecting and there's a time for being with others, communicating, sharing... It's about the 'when' and 'how often' and 'in what way'... At least that's my opinion.