Being grateful

Sacrament

A lot of articles and self-help books claim that one of the best ways to relieve anxiety/depression and climb towards a more positive mental state is to make a list of the things you are grateful for, and show you gratefulness every day by appreciating them more and focusing on them more.

I've found that it's hard for me to think about the things I feel grateful for, or the idea of doing that every day, without the immediate thought of "if I start feeling grateful for this, it's gonna go away in some shape or form". It's a really annoying thought, but the most annoying part is how real it seems. I guess it's one of those things that comes with anxiety and negative thinking patterns.

What are your thoughts, and how has this worked for you?

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I've come across this recently on a lot of lists about ways to make your life better, and while I don't incorporate the grateful thing as well as I would like, I can say a lot of the other things I see on these lists (wake up early, minimize screen time, smile more, etc) all have had positive impacts on my life, and would lead me to believe gratefulness would have the same effect.

I think if you are struggling with the idea of feeling grateful because you worry it will go away, perhaps starting with basic things would be a good place to start. Things like the sun in the sky on the wind on your face. Little things that we take for granted and aren't going anywhere. You don't have to worry about the sun not rising tomorrow, although the fact that it will makes life much better than if it didn't.

If you start there and make it a habit, gratefulness will become a part of your routine and the thinking process will become more natural.

Last edited:

lily

only God is permanent. When you see him work on your behalf you will know that he exists but then again, i still have certain things i have to work on with God myself so i can't really talk a lot about this but this is what i have to say. When you're with God, everything you get from him, the provider is eternal. No one can take it away from you if it's not his will. Heaven is eternal too what a wonderful thing. That's all I'm going to say about God, in case anyone thinks I'm hijacking this thread into a debate. No, I'm not! :bigsmile: