Being a Geek/Nerd

Shonen_Yo

Does anyone perceive themselves as this?

Along time ago, I would've been the furthest from any of those categories; at least I think so. I had so little going for me, but I was as "the indifferent children of the earth."

Now I see myself as a huge Nerd. Does anyone else feel this way? For people who are not, do you see nerds as weak impressionable, or do you have a high opinion on them?

Thanks

Foxglove

I think it's ridiculous that people always have to find a label to put on others. All I can say is that I'd much rather be a nerd, or have a geek as a friend, if the alternative is someone who is shallow, superficial, arrogant, ignorant. . . . Being a "nerd" isn't only negative -- Look at Bill Gates :wink: . He is the perfect embodiment of a "Tech-weenie", but he's also the richest guy and arguably the most successful businessman on the planet.

Shonen_Yo

Foxglove said:
I think it's ridiculous that people always have to find a label to put on others. All I can say is that I'd much rather be a nerd, or have a geek as a friend, if the alternative is someone who is shallow, superficial, arrogant, ignorant. . . . Being a "nerd" isn't only negative -- Look at Bill Gates :wink: . He is the perfect embodiment of a "Tech-weenie", but he's also the richest guy and arguably the most successful businessman on the planet.

I'd show you my pic. I look like Bill's kid.

cptkoi

Foxglove said:

Would be interesting to know how many 'friends' Bill has as he may well have business success but that must have come at a price?

Foxglove

I was just trying to find a positive example of someone being a nerd or a geek. I'm sorry I answered at all, now.

charlieHungerford

Shonen_Yo said:

Along time ago, I would've been the furthest from any of those categories; at least I think so. I had so little going for me, but I was as "the indifferent children of the earth."

Now I see myself as a huge Nerd. Does anyone else feel this way? For people who are not, do you see nerds as weak impressionable, or do you have a high opinion on them?

Thanks

No, I am definitely not a nerd. As for people who I see as nerds - no I don't think they are weak, I usually see them as being clever and good people. Nothing wrong with nerds, nerdy people are harmless and usually mean well.

Shonen_Yo

charlieHungerford said:
Shonen_Yo said:

Thanks

No, I am definitely not a nerd. As for people who I see as nerds - no I don't think they are weak, I usually see them as being clever and good people. Nothing wrong with nerds, nerdy people are harmless and usually mean well.

I must be easy to take advantage of as well.

And thanks, fox :cry:

rado31

Foxglove said:

Hm, although i dont know what term 'nerd' means , i dont like Bill Gates.
He is selling crap.

Horatio

Being a nerd is a difficult life to live until the age of 18

After that it is pretty sweet and worth any previous pain that may have been endured.

The people that make fun of nerds also seem to be the ones that are arrested for robbing pie carts a few years out of school. Also remember that we live in times where technology rules the world, to be a master of that technology is something to be embraced and not foresaken all for the point of being 'cool' for a few months.

Shonen_Yo

Horatio said:

After that it is pretty sweet and worth any previous pain that may have been endured.

The people that make fun of nerds also seem to be the ones that are arrested for robbing pie carts a few years out of school. Also remember that we live in times where technology rules the world, to be a master of that technology is something to be embraced and not foresaken all for the point of being 'cool' for a few months.

Hey, thanks Horatio. Too bad I threw my life away for anxiety, but I'm getting it back.

BTW, what have you been up to?

Horatio

Shonen_Yo said:
Horatio said:

Hey, thanks Horatio. Too bad I threw my life away for anxiety, but I'm getting it back.

life is never thrown away, just sometimes put on hold

Ive spent the last 3 months living on a remote island working on a reality tv series, hence my not being online often.

Shonen_Yo

Horatio said:
Shonen_Yo said:
Horatio said:

Hey, you serious? Maybe I'm just gullible, but it's nice to hear from you.

life is never thrown away, just sometimes put on hold

Ive spent the last 3 months living on a remote island working on a reality tv series, hence my not being online often.

Horatio

Shonen_Yo said:

Haha yeah I'm serious, random aye! Its good to be back, that was a long time without cellphone reception, telephones, cinema, television or easy internet access

Shonen_Yo

Horatio said:
Shonen_Yo said:

Haha yeah I'm serious, random aye! Its good to be back, that was a long time without cellphone reception, telephones, cinema, television or easy internet access

You are a brave soul, Horatio.

Fighter86

When I was in Lower secondary, people regarded me as a nerd, because I spoke so little, and was so quiet. I was quite embarrassed of it because I wanted people to think I was lively and interesting. In upper secondary, I changed classmates and no one called me a nerd really. When I went to college, people regarded me as a nerd once again. But this time, I took it with pride strangely. Now, no one calls me a nerd, but if someone did, it won't bother me, and I would accept it with pride actually. But I do wish I am like a real nerd, like I knew about computers and all that, but I guess I'm not gifted in this area :(