Barriers...

AsHLeY

Most people think I'm a hard person to get to know. It's probably because I don't like talking about my personal life that much... even with good friends. I guess I sort of put up a "barrier" - like a defense mechanism. Possibly because if nobody REALLY knows me too well, I feel as though I can't be rejected? But I dunno - I don't feel that I put up a "barrier" to keep everyone out... I think I do it to see who cares enough to break it down. Does this make any sense to anyone??

Pink_Paula

That makes perfect sense to me, i think i'm the same. I don't intentionally put barriers up to keep people away but i find it hard to let them down, even when i know i should be more open and honest with people, it scares the life out of me to think that they might hurt me so i keep the barriers up. I've been told that i probably do it to see who cares enough to stay or try to beak them down, so i do think that makes sense.

mads

It makes very good sense. I think a lot of people here are doing excactly the same as you. It is very normal behaviour in your situation.