barely functioning at work, barely functioning in life

Anonymous

Inpenetrable rant ahead; I forget about normal punctuation when I freak. Bad trait for a copy editor...

Why can't I function remotely normally?!????

It's Friday and our supervisors are out for the day (which normally means a more relaxing day). But now everyone pitching in for pizza to eat as a department at lunchtime. Mind you I always eat lunch alone on the Net. But I couldn't even come up with a way to explain that I'm low on cash and brought my lunch this morning (hell I was almost late cuz i was making it at the last second). Not to mention that I'm already considered the quiet freak of the dept. and don't know how long I'll be able to keep this job... and I have not much to talk about with these folks who have their nice normal lives cuz I hardly ever go out anymore, never have any fun anymore, almost no friends, do a lot of web surfing, etc. I'm 31 and stuck at home cuz I went broke last year and feel like such a complete loser about it, esp. around all these smart, attractive 24 year olds who are almost married, make way more than I do and drive nicer cars and own houses when i can't even afford rent and have been working since I graduated from college over 8 years ago but no matter what i do i can't get past entry level even though my IQ tests at over 130...WTF is my problem??? (well besides SA, AVPD, ADHD, cigs, weed, and lots of pathetic loserly tendencies, no apt, no S.O., no life to speak of, a loooong commute for not enough money, constant stress at work, stress at home because I can't afford to live alone....) At this rate I'm never going to make anything of my life, the potential is already wasted so why tell me why should i bother anymore? By the time I get out of debt enough to think of getting a real life back I'll be in my 40s if I can survive that long, which I seriously doubt the way I've been feeling lately.... which is worse than ever even though in some ways my life itself has been worse before (yeah, like a couple of months ago). Sorry this was incomprehenxible and stupid. And I get so wigged out over stuff like this at work for no reason (i was fine until I was told about pizza, and learned just how **young** the 24-yr-old perfect-lifer designer making way more than me with the condon that she complains is too small and her BF with money and her better car and short commute and bubbly personality and everything going well while I'm stuck in f(*^(** hell and have to smile or look like I can't handle my easy, boring-ass job (and I CAN'T handle concentrating on proofreading when I'm freaking......)

And I never used to be a jealous person.... only afetr I realized that the life I always wanted is impossible for me.......

And if I lose this job (my first job in over a year after a layoff and being assaulted by my ex-GF when we were living together after she took all my money) I doubt I won't not kill myself... and I don't think I'm well liked here.

Thanks for listening.

Anonymous

THANK YOU for reading and for your support. Next time I'll try to be shorter and include paragraph breaks and the like (I work as a writer and editor so looking over that post makes me cringe lol).

What mood swings these are that I write the first post 2 hours ago and now I'm making stupid jokes?? I don't understand my brain at all, and we've known each other for decades :)

Thank you again!

Orlando

J,

Take it easy on yourself. People have problems, too, despite how perfect their lives may appear. Don't fool yourself in thinking that other people don't have problems or are just all-around happy all the time. No, that is not the case. All people have own set of problems: they experience pain and difficulties in their lives too. They may not have problems with social phobia but they may be abusive relationships, have a loan shark threatening their life, be in the middle of a nasty divorce, sick with cancer, have a loved one with a terminal disease, or homeless (etc.).......

There is a saying, "Be careful for what you wish for....you might just get it." I take this advice to heart: I don't wish for other people's problems.

Anonymous

J said:
I'm already considered the quiet freak of the dept. and don't know how long I'll be able to keep this job... and I have not much to talk about with these folks who have their nice normal lives cuz I hardly ever go out anymore, never have any fun anymore, almost no friends, do a lot of web surfing, etc. I'm 31 and stuck at home cuz I went broke last year and feel like such a complete loser about it, esp. around all these smart, attractive 24 year olds who are almost married, make way more than I do and drive nicer cars and own houses when i can't even afford rent and have been working since I graduated from college over 8 years ago but no matter what i do i can't get past entry level even though my IQ tests at over 130...WTF is my problem???.

HA HA HA HA!!! I LOVE IT!!! Someone just like me!!! Don't worry there J, like Orlando said, these bubbly 24-year-olds have problems too, and as for the ones that really and truly don't? You can make problems for them!!!

Put that 130+ IQ to good use! :twisted: Are there cameras where they park their nice cars? No? Then get creative! That lunch you brought probably contains amino acids harmful to clear coat paints! And organic compounds that could decompose and stink up a convertible's interior for months! And that pesky property they own? A little internet sleuthing at the county property appraiser's site will help you locate their properties! Use the addresses any way you like! :twisted: I'm not advocating arson, or murder, but maybe your co-workers could use a few subscriptions to Cat Fancy or some nice collectibles from the Franklin Mint! The important thing is that you get a kick out of it. The next time they come by your desk you won't be able to help but grin! :D (Just tell them you met a new girl or something!)

:idea: Also, you should try listening to soft music while proofreading, it can keep your mind off their irritatingly successful lives. You might also consider filing for bankruptcy which will eliminate all your debt. Then get some quality anxiolitics in your bloodstream, and you can turn it all around and be on the fast track to a shiny, happy, brand spankin' new life!

Whatever you do, don't kill yourself. You are smart and well-liked here, if not at your mundane pizza-party having job.

Anonymous

a better day today..........

Thank you, Orlando, Tampa, and Tess!!!!!!

Yesterday was a bad day. More so because the external events were so minor, and my interior response was so extreme. Sometimes, it's funny because all those things you mentioned, Orlando--ppl being worse off etc.--are true, and I realize that... and when I think about those things while I'm freaking out it almost makes me feel worse because my feelings in a sense become even more extreme and less justified. So what does one do when the delusion is terrible and the truth makes you feel worse? 8O lol :) Crazy stuff, I tell ya.....

Thank you for listening and caring to respond. :) This is very helpful.

And Tampa, you had be laughing my ass off this morning. I had visions of bologna-sized polka dots of etched automotive paint and moldy provolone in the glove box in the August sun... :twisted: a dainty liberal graphic designer going to the mailbox and finding Soldier of Fortune and Jane's Defense Weekly.... a devious, cynical genius thou art :) I'll stop here rather than list off a million evil things to do to ppl which I never would anyway (I'm absurdly nonviolent lol... and have problems with guilt :eek: )

I don't actually dislike my coworkers or anything. I just can't relate all that well. I'm trying to avoid bankruptcy if it's possible-- but anxiolytics sure sound like a good idea. :p

Onward we go! :arrow: :!:

symbiosis

I agree with Orlando - just because other people look really sociable and happy, it doesn't mean that they don't have any problems. Even if they don't have any problems, that also means they aren't getting the opportunity to develop their character and overcome obstacles. Perhaps I'm being optimistic, but I reckon that working at self improvement is somewhat of a blessing in disguise. Although it is almost impossible to appreciate this at the time!

I'm kinda (a bit) glad I've been through the SP ordeal, as I'm probably a completely different person to what I otherwise would have been. It gives you a depth of empathy and character that only come about from adversity.