Bad night

Moonie

Last night I had to give a presentation for my public speaking class. I drank before hand, as I sometimes do before speeches, but I finally took it too far. I drank so much that I don't remember it all. I remember sitting in the hallway with my teacher, a nurse from my class, and public safety. I was then brought to the hospital b/c of alchl poisoning and I believe a panic attack. My BAL was 3.somthing. I was close to being in a coma.

Now, I have to get counseling and take AA classes at school. I don't think I did my presentation (as I can say the night is not all too clear) and now I still have 3 classes left. I am really embarrassed by this incident and scared to show my face in front of my teacher and classmates again. How can I go back?

Zipper

Moonie said:
How can I go back?
Wow, that really sucks! I remember taking a speech class in college, and that was my worst grade! I can vividly recall how bored everyone looked while I was talking and how they were just looking down at their desks. One short speech, I just chickened out of and had to do it the next class.

I'm so sorry about the alcohol fiasco.

Did you tell your prof that public speech makes you nervous? I'm sure the prof. has seen stuff like this before -- people drinking alcohol before trying to speak. But, no doubt the prof has never seen anything to this extent!

Have a sense of humor about it. Go back to the prof, apologize and make a joke about it. Seriously, this is nothing to get too down about. One day it will make a great story to tell the Grandkids!

But in the meantime, you need to get over your SA. Loosen up, don't take yourself too seriously. Be willing to make mistakes. Expect pain and fear, but hope for correction and love.

Maybe in your next speech, you can give a talk about social anxiety and alcohol? -- while making self-deprecating jokes.

You should be grateful that they are taking this seriously and are putting you through AA classes. This is really for your own good, and they didn't have to help you out. They could have sent you home with nothing, but your school obviously cares for you.

Make this a learning experience for you. Keep your chin up. This could be a positive turn in the road and certainly doesn't have to be negative. It's up to you.

prince1

Man i feel your pain, ive been in situations similier to yours. best thing to do is explain why you did it, end of. If he dosent understand then he is just plain ignorant.

Moonie

Thanks for the thoughts and ideas! I hope all goes well. But I am scared for my future.

spct

yeah i know how scary it can be

you just have to try & evaluate it

how proud will you feel if you're able to go back, regardless of how scared you feel?

how important are the rewards of going back & finishing your classes?

is the alternative actually going to be any easier/better for you, in the short/long run?

as an outsider, it's easy to tell you to suck it up & go back, but only you can judge whether you feel up to it or not

& remember, there are some nice people out there who will understand (even if they might not always show it), & if some people do look down on you or ridicule you or anything like that, they're really not worth worrying so much about

anyway, best of luck

try & stay positive & i'm sure you'll be fine :wink: