b

86theHH

The quick and dirty answer for iontophoresis helping with plantar and palmar hyperhidrosis is: YES it does effectively reduce the symptoms.

To answer your questions:
1. Home made is my only experience. However, for the results I have achieved with it, I don't need to spend the money on a name brand machine. The important part is adding salt (for more conductivity) and baking soda to the water bath. You don't have to turn the water bath into the Dead Sea. I would guess I use about a tablespoon of salt and the same amount of baking soda. Again experiment to see what works for you.

2. I use aluminum pans and place them in a cheap metal pan for support. You could also place aluminum pans in a plastic pan too. Just be sure to clip the test nodes to the aluminum pans (that should be obvious).

3. Time is related to the amount of sweat you produce. I suffered from severe plantar hyperhidrosis and I typically do 30 minute maintenance sessions (15 minutes and then reverse the direction of the current for the remaining 15 minutes). My initial sessions ranged from 30 minutes to 1 hour.

4. I did it every day consistently for 2 weeks and then switched to every other day. Now its been 4 weeks and I continue to go every other day. Soon I will start scaling back by one day and wait for the breaking point to occur.

5. Voltages vary. I really recommend investing $80 or more for a AC to DC power converter with adjustable voltage and avoid batteries. I paid $90 for mine and would recommend it for everyone who is looking for help with HH. When I started off, I did 24 volts DC for more than 30 minutes. That caused a small blister. My sweet spot is 18-19 volts. This is why I say go for a DC power converter with the capability for controlling voltages.

6. I try to keep my feet elevated enough so that they don't touch the bottom. There isn't any harm in having them touch the bottom, but you want to have space so that the ions can migrate easier into the skin.

You will experience stinging or tingling sensations. It is similar to placing your tongue on a 9 volt battery. My recommendation is using vaseline or Aquephor lotion on your nails and cuticles. That stuff is non conductive and will stop the current from going into those sensitive parts. If you have a cut or an abrasion, throw some of that on there too, or you will feel a decent sting on the cut if you don't use it.
Another side effect you may experience is itchy skin. It's a small sacrifice for bringing HH under control.

Last edited:

hyp-hi

1. RAFischer. It was very expensive, but hard to put a price on something that helps. I think there are some cheaper alternatives for galvanic stimulators. Fellow user Sprawling has posted about his results.

2. Plastic plates.

3. Every other day for 15 minutes.

4. It comes and goes. Some days, some weeks are better than others.

5. For voltage I try to go as high as I can without it being too uncomfortable.

6. I don't touch the plates, but with plastic it wouldn't matter.

CharlesN

1. Brand, or home made? Are the ones made/sold by companies any better? Is it worth paying that much more? Why not try home made, if it works and you want to make the investment, then go for it. The Pulsed current thing Sprawling recommends seems like a very reasonably priced alternative.

2. Aluminum plate pans (e.g. pie pans) or stainless steel? Which is better/safer? My research indicated Aluminum was safer.

3. Once daily for a prolonged period of time (30~45mins) or three times a day for 10~15 mins? I was doing 40 minutes+ daily until dry. Now I do 40 minutes (per polarity) once a week and have not sweated from my hands since late December.

4. Did anyone experience regression after use? After how long? Not as yet - but I've heard some do.

5. Less volts for less sweaty palms? More for more? Which voltage do you prefer/recommend? So far I've bought two 6v lamp batteries... not sure if that's enough. I started with 18 V and am now using 24 V. For some people 24 V is painful. I must be lucky in that I experience very little pain. A little tingling upon first immersion, and stronger when first switching polarities, but really really inconsequential levels of pain for me. I would go for 24 V if u can tolerate it.

6. Do you let your touch the plate? also, any skin irritations/side-effects of usuage? So far the only side effect is that my plantar HH is reduced by 75% at least and I've never done a foot treatment. I don't let my wrists touch the aluminum. When I first started out and did that - it did cause some pain. My hands are always "floating" in the water and not touching any of the surfaces.

Good luck with the ionto! I hope it is as effective for u as it has been for me.